Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks post op L5S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I will be two weeks post op tomorrow Thursday the 7th. I am having issues with sitting and walking. How much should I be dong of each? I have post op appointment on the 18th. I have quite a bit of stiffness and pressure at the surgical site and am wondering if that is normal.

My leg pain and hip pain are gone but I sleep so much! Any help?

• Hi Toni,
    I can only comment on my experience with laminectomy surgery, but at 2 weeks I was still experiencing quite a bit of stiffness, soreness, and some hip and leg pain too. As for the sitting and walking issues, my NS told me that too much sitting wasn't good, but do as much walking as possible without too much pain.
    Sleep is good in my opinion! I wouldn't worry about that. I tried to sleep thru as much of the post-op mess as possible!
    Good luck with your recovery!
  • I slept until 1:30 in the afternoon today! Yikes, it's first for me.

Now I do feel a little groggy and out of it still, but I'm thinking my body really needed it.

I guess it helped that I am on my own today, no 6 year old wanting to go out and ride her bike today - Grandparents to the rescue ;)

I think our bodies just need the sleep.

On sitting - I almost never ever sit yet. It's just too darn uncomfortable.

Walking, I've managed to walk around my block 2 times so far. I wanted to go for it again today, but the heat was a bit too much this afternoon. I just took a short mailbox walk outside and a bit added inside. I'll try for the whole block tonight when it cools.

How much are you walking? How long are you managing to sit?

I think we are close in post-op time...
  • Tiger, dear, at only 2 weeks out, you are doing wonderfully!

I think I slept from Jan-March....! Truly, I felt so lousy & hurt so much, I just didn't DO much of anything...

So you are intrepid indeed, walking already & trying to sit (don't sit too much at all!) etc. The stiffness & pressure a(unless you have NEW pain) is also part & parcel of the whole ordeal. It gets worse b4 it gets better, so save your strength, REST & SLEEP--as Glenda calls it, "the post-op mess"---and what a mess it is.

Respect what was done to you. It was brutal. It simply takes TIME...2 weeks is fresh off the table...do what is safe and STOP when you feel pain...

Fusion surgery is MAJOR. My NS said it's second only to heart surgery in seriousness & pain...he said (quote) "It's just brutal surgery." Your body needs to just recover & start to repair itself. TIME. PATIENCE. It's a long long road.

So LIE DOWN!! Sit for a bit, walk a little, but SLEEP as much as possible. And WAIT...as the days nudge into weeks & they nudge into months, you'll be better---but not yet.

Now take your meds & go to bed! :)

Truly, I wish you the best! And enjoy the absence of your hip/leg pain---I loved that! What a relief, don't you agree!

• Thanks so much everyone. I've been so scared that I'm being lazy and not doing what I should do. I had the best surgeon I absolutely love him!!!! I also have a great husband.

It is so hard to know what is normal with all of this. I am scheduled to be off 6 weeks but requested 8 yesterday. I'm not sure if the University will allow it or not but I'm requesting it. The doctor doesn't think he will release me at 6.

This website has been a lifesaver!

• What type of surgery did you have to L5-S1?
  • After my surgery I slept so much! Your body needs it to heal itself.

I'm not sure what you had done, but I found that sitting was the hardest thing to do. In fact, I was told only to sit for short periods and that I should be either lying down or up and walking about. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself after surgery is walk, but only within your own limits. We all heal at different rates so don't judge your own recovery by someone elses. If you find you can't walk very far, then go for 2 or 3 shorter walks throughout the day instead and just build it up slowly. Most important at this early stage is to listen to your body - if it makes the pain worse then don't do it! You're still so early out and I'd hate you to do anything that hinders your recovery.

Keep us posted and take care - you're doing great! Hugs, Spicey
  • At two weeks I was having trouble walking and sitting as well. I still have trouble sitting for long periods or walking for long periods. Give yourself time, you'll get there. As well, Enjoy the sleep, alot of ppl find it hard to sleep after surgery.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • I had a decompression/fusion of s1/L5 accourding to my papwerwork. I had it done posterior no frontal inscision. My husband thinks I should be more mobile than I am and is pushing me really hard. I have a call into my NS we'll see what he says when he calls.
  • It's nice to hear that someone else is also doing well after their L5-S1 PLIF. This is really starting to put my mind at ease. Thanks Tigger for sharing!
  • Tigger dear, please please PLEASE don't "push" yourself!!!

At only 2 weeks out, you want to SLEEP, REST and take it REAL EASY. Sorry for the caps (I'm really not shouting) but....!

You are doing well, yet have a LONG way to go & the journey is fraught w/ lots of ups & downs...so for now, STAY DOWN!

Again, I am almost 7 months out & it wasn't until June that I really started to feel better. Fusions are HUGE, BIG & SERIOUS surgery. It's your SPINE! Your Central Nervous System! Connected to your BRAIN!! It's not a hang-nail!

Tell your dear hubby that your mobility is on "hold" right now---I cannot stress enough how you just need to REST. Period!

Take care, listen to your NS next week & in the mean time, as others have counseled you, walk a bit, rest a LOT and DON'T SIT!! I still can't sit for more than 15 minutes...move when you need to to stay comfy but please, dear, give this whole mess lots of time to resolve! All those little nerves, your big muscles & many bones have been moved around & invaded...things need to settle down & the best way to let your body recover from all this is to REST!!!

Wishing you a continued SAFE recovery! :)