Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Diagnosis of Sciatica Caused by Scar TIssue

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hi, I am new to this this....I had Laminectomy Diskectomy 8 years ago and was great until 8 months ago when I started having back pain again. Have finally gone through xray and MRI only to find out my back, hip and leg pain are caused by sciatica. Nerve tests show definate loss of nerve function on left side, yet Neuro says not a good candidate for surgery. Outcome for good only 50/50 but pain is making me a crazy person. Any suggestions?

• Did they do the MRI with contrast? When I had my last MRI they did a regular one first and could not tell if I had a herniation or if it was scar tissue. So they had me come in again and do the MRI with contrast and then they could tell that it was a herniation and not scar tissue. Also I'd get a second opinion on the surgery.
  • No. They did not do contrast so I will definately be asking that question. I will be getting a second opinion as well. I just can't believe that this is happening at this point. I had a laminectomy/diskectomy in 1999 at L5/S1
    and did great until about 8 months ago and the pain and weakness have conrinued to worsen. Thank you so much for the info
  • I don't know why they bother doing an MRI without contrast. And then have to repeat it!!
    The last one I had was without contrast, I know now to ask the question first!
  • I agree I don't get it. I was pretty frustrated when they had me come in that day and I was in horrible pain trying to just lay in the tube for an MRI then the next day they are having me come in again for one with contrast. I just thought why didn't they just do it that way to start with. Maybe they don't want to stick everyone with an IV that comes in there unless it's necessary.

What they do is have an IV with saline running into you and take some pictures and then put some die or something like that in through the IV and take some more pictures. It doesn't hurt it's just like having an IV for a little while. I did check though they only charged my insurance company for one of the MRI's so that was good.
  • I would like to have a conclusion and if the contrast will help....I will do another MRI....I had a very difficult time getting through it this last time. I was in a huge amount of pain and suffered 2 panic attacks forcing us to start over....I am not looking forward to going through it again. I am really struggling with the new meds too so anything that will help find some relief. I can't believe that it would be a scar tissue issue after almost 8 years of no pain so I am going to keep pushjing until I find the answer.
    Thanks for the input. I am currently on Robaxin and Neurontin and it makes me very dizzy and teary and there is no relief from pain....so I am hoping for some results. Have EMG tomorrow then back to Neuro on the 18th.But making my kids and husband crazy with me on these meds!
  • That's what I was thinking too. How could you be fine for 8 years and then suddenly have problems again it sure doesn't seem like scar tissue. Seems more like a herniation to me. You should definately have them do one with contrast. W

hen they do my MRI's they put me in feet first since I told them I am claustrophobic. So that helps with the stress knowing that your head is right at the top.

Have they given you a medrol pack? When I had my worse pain those helped so much. It's also called methylprednisolone. It's a steroid anti-inflammitory that is taken for 6 days. When my disc herniated again and it felt like my back was going to explode from the pain the medrol pack started helping within 6 hours of taking it to bring down the inflammation.
  • Thanks for your reply.....I was beginning to think I was crazy thinking that scar tissue could be the issue. I have not tried medrol. But will ask dr. about. Anything at this point to be able to function and be there for my kids especially....school can't start soon enough for me this summer.
  • I feel your pain I'm sure it would be tough taking care of kids and dealing with this pain. I don't have any kids and it's was tough enough just to take care of myself. Now I'm getting better though.

Another thing that helped me with pain was using ice on my back. Well actually I used a bag of frozen peas and then recently I bought one of those gel packs that comes with a belt and I wrap it around my hips and keep the frozen gel pack on my lower back. You can get them at drugstores. I've even used it on my foot and back of leg at times and it helps.
  • Hi , i have had Major Spinal surgery at three Lumbar Levels and have been diagnosed with Scar Tissue. It never seems to end , always something else !I have read yor advise and I to will talk to my doctor . Sciatic Pain is tough. it almost paralises me. I have a daughter and am a single mum . I really do understand . Thanyou for your imput.
  • starts to develop within a 6-12 week window if I remember correctly so that pain develping 8 years later or even one year later, etc, is probably due to something else. If I was pain-free or pain-less for 8 years (congratulations on that, btw!), I would definitely check out any recent changes.