Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here

elviseelvis Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi could you please help my husband as ddd he was told about this in may this year he is in a lot of pain and as not be able to work for 3 months now he as had no mri done but as had a xray and also he as had Physical Therapy now for 3 weeks and thay say thay can see that he is getting better with is walking but he is still in a lot off pain so how can they say hes getting better please help and let me know what can be done for him

3 disc in the L4 is what as gone

• elvis- Maybe go with him to a dr appt and be his advocate for more testing to be done (like MRI etc). The dr needs to know that his pain level is not improving from PT and go from there... :? jade
  • with jade. sometimes people that are in pain have a hard time expressing their pain to the docs. You really may want to insist on an MRI.
  • thank you for replying
    could you tell me how the mri works as my husband is very scared to have it done i have said to him that we need to find out about it because when he moves around he can feel the spine rubbin and it feels like it two bits of the bones in his back are rubbining together and when we make love its ok at first but then this happens and it feels like the 2 bits in his back near the top of his bum are rubbin and then he loses all feeling and he cant carry on i dont think rhat the doc take ddd very serious when we say a about the pain he cant even go back to work as he works in a school as a caretaker and he will have to do lots of lifting
    the Physical Therapy was saying to him about going back on light dutys but at a school there is no light dutys
    so please i hope someone can help and if the y dont do a mri were can we go from here for help
  • Getting an MRI is the next best course of action. Those of us who've suffered tend to get stubborn and try hard to forget the pain, let alone use to it and give false pain scales. Folks just don't want to hear us complain anymore. With you there with him is going to help big time. Big scary looking machine isn't that bad at all. A little uncomfortable and very noisy. If he's closterphobic he will need to advise the technicians. The Doc may have to revisit the PT thingy.
  • I have had 3 or 4, they are not bad at all, you just have to hold still. You can watch a movie in this giant tube. It only lasts for 30 to 40 minutes. DDD is a very serious problem to deal with and he needs to be diagnosed correctly. I find it hard to believe the Dr. didn't do that right away.
    Good Luck!
  • thank you for your help, we went back today to see the pt and she again as said that he dont need to have a MRI but i think he does its so hard to see the man you love in so much pain i have made apportment with his doc again for monday as i am not happy with what the pt said, she told him not to do the MRI that ddd only means that the rubing is dew to the spounge bit has gone and he need to rebuild the muscel up again and that why he can feel the pain more i dont know if this is true but all i know is hes in pain all the time and i wish i could take it away from him even if it was only for 1 day so if you could help me anyway so i can try and make him feel better with the pain
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    Couple of things.
    The most important thing with any spinal condition is to obtain as much technical and medical knowledge regarding the situation. Spine-Health.com offers so many valuable articles to do that.

For DDD, take a look at
    Degenrative Disc Disease

DDD sounds like such a nasty condition. In very small cases the condition can be very severe. Almost any one over the age of 30 will show some signs of DDD. It is basically the aging of the spine, like your hair turns gray, your spine is getting older. Fortunately, proper Physical Therapy and over the counter medications (ie NSAIDS) , along with approved exercise can help to manage and control DDD.
    You need to verify this with your doctor. Please remember whatever is said on these forums are ONLY personal views and experiences from others. The forum community does not have a professional medical membership. So it is always important that you discuss everything with your doctor.

Also, my recommendation is to never insist on anything with your doctor. That could be the quickest way to alienate yourself with them. You need to establish a trusting relationship with your doctor. Once that starts, additional discussions regarding what diagnostic tests should be done (there are many besides MRI's), what treatments should be considered, etc

I do fully agree that when you visit doctors, it is advisable to have another person with you. The extra 'ears' are very important and make sure you have a pen and paper.
    So often doctors will start to rattle of terms and conditions that it is difficult to understand, no less remember.

Best of Luck

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com