Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm Megan

snookiessnookie Posts: 359
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Lower Back Pain
HI my name is Megan. To give you a bit of history, i am 27 years ols (too young for this). I fell on a patch of ice at work on April Fools Day of this year. Been in pain ever since. After a month the Doc did X-rays and an MRI, showed a transitional L5, mild bulge at L5, and an angular tear. I had another MRI on my left hip (pain is in the laft buttock and down my leg), that one showed nothing wrong. 3 months of PT and accupuncture haven't helped.

Because I am still working full time WCB is doing nothing for me, PT has given up on me, and my Doc is just giving me RX's. I just started Tridural 6 days ago. My doc says that since my MRI shows nothing wrong he can't do anything for me.

I am so frustrated with how this affected my life. My boyfriend of 2 years left me, I am raising 2 kids by myself, and trying to work full time. I
am having a really hard time dealing with this.

Thanks for letting me vent, and for posting all your experiences, I've been reading them for awhile and they have helped a lot.

• I also had an annular tare and it did cause pain in my butt, hip and down my leg. Has any of the docs mentioned trying to repair the tare? I hate to say it knowing barely anything about your situation but a boyfriend that could not even stick it out a couple of months may not have been worth having. just imagine if your accident would have had worse consequences. The annular tare can cause tons of pain.
  • They have not mentioned fixing anything, the Doc told me that the tare could not be causing pain because it was not pressing on the nerve in the MRI.

About the boyfriend, i know your right. It just seems like a lot to take in, in a short amount of time.
  • I too am a single mom (32) and i've been dealing with my back being bad for over 4 years now. It is very hard trying to raise kids dealing with this kind of pain. When my back first went on me I was working full time raising my girls (at that time ages 5 and 3) all on my own. I had surgery 4 days before my little one turned 4. My sister stayed with me for a week after my surgery then I was on my own again. I have been lucky enough to get long term disability, so that helped with the bills, but it still left me disabled and not able to do alot with my girls. Over the years they've gotten used to having to help with certain things, which is good because i'm due for another surgery in 2 weeks. Now they are 10 and 7...and are amazing children and help me alot. Kids can understand more than we give them credit for, and they will help out if they see Mom is hurting or can't do something. Just do the simple things with them, sit and color, read a book, watch a movie with them. Or park yourself in a chair outside while they run around. I've found over the years that even though I cant get out there and run with them, sometimes just watching them is good enough for them.
  • you guys deserve kudos for trying to keep your life in line as well as deal with your back pain. I'm sorry life has turned out this way for you, and for many of us who are young it seems very unfair.

Keep posting on here and we will support!

Good luck to you and hope you get better.
  • brucie76 your right about kids understanding. This is the second time my kids have had to deal with mom being out of commission. Five years ago I had a hysderectomy due to cancer, and even though they were only 5 & 3 at the time they were a huge help. This time around they amaze me everyday. They have taken over most of the household and outside chores, and they never complain.
  • thanks for the hats off. It sure is nice to have some words of encouragement
  • Hi Megan,
    I can relate to what you are gong thru. My doctor also says that the findings on my MRI should not be causing me as much pain as I"m in. I am in severe pain and have had to take a leave of absence from work. I am currently not receiving any pay and my husband and I are trying to get by on his income. My doctor does not want to prescribe pain meds. because he does not believe that the pain is that bad.
    Hang in there and know that others are thinking of you. Best of luck. Hope
  • I offer you no advice, simply words of encouragement and admiration. Being a single mom is no easy feat, and your kid's positive outlook and helpful demeanor is a reflection of the person raising them :)
  • in my thorastic area and my doctor says that theres nothing surgically that he can do for me now and that it shouldnt be causing me that much pain. Its the constant nagging pain that comes from there that kills me.

CHristina :)
  • I don't understand how DR's can decide how much pain we should be in. This seems to be a common theme around here (and a frustrating one). Remember when there was nothing smaller than an atom? Maybe they are wong about how much they can see on an MRI. Desite what my Dr says, i have barely been able to walk for 4 months. The worst part is that since it is a WCB claim, and I am still working (I have a desk job), neither WCB or my Dr seem to care that this injury has impacted my daily living so much. I wish that there were other Dr's available, but in my part of the country it's an 11 month wait for a new Doc.

Thanks for letting me vent!! This forum is helping a alot.
  • Seem to not listen or think that you just want meds. 1 doctor that I was seeing refused to give me anything that helped. He said taht since I went to the ER over the weekend then he feels I should not have any strong pain killers. I told him I had driven for 12 hours straight. My kids and I went to washington state to visit family. He basically said oh well. Then a series of car break ins happened in my neighborhood in one night and my meds were stolen out of my car. So basically he called me an addict so of course I left his practice and went back to my neurosurgeon. Now the cause of the pain is more serious then I had thought. So if you feel you are not getting the attention and care that you deserve find someone else. I know it is easy to say but I know how bad the pain gets especially when raising 2 kids. I am a stay at home mommy with a 7 and 2 yr old. No easy task, I can't imagine doing it alone. I do get my breaks when the hubby gets off of work or on the weekends thank goodness. Try looking into a neurosurgeon, let them know the pain you are in and see if they can get you in sooner. Then have them put you on the cancelation list. just be annoying to them until you get in!!
  • I've got a Dr's appointment tomorrow and I'm going to ask for a referal. Unfortunatley I can't call and get an appointment with a N/S. I have to have the referal from my Dr. I also can't start seeing a new family Dr. because the waiting list here is about 11 months. We have a major shortage of Dr's here. Hopefully he'll listen and send me to someone.
  • Good luck with your appt tomorrow!!!
This discussion has been closed.