Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about muscle relaxer

dorothyddorothy Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Pain Medications
Hi, I was wondering if I could take a muscle relaxer as
part of my daily pain med? Do you just take one when you
get muscle spasms or can you take it on a regular daily basis to keep the spasms away? I have skelaxin that my
PM dr. gave me. I never know when spasms in my lower back
are going to hit me. I'm always afraid and I wanted to
take meds that would just keep them at bay. I would
appreciate any replies. Thanks.

• Hi Dorothy, if you take it daily you may well find its effectiveness lessening as your body adapts to it.
    Might be better to keep it in reserve for those times when you really need it.

However, I have found it beneficial to take a strong dose of muscle relaxant fairly frequently so that I can relax the muscles and get a bit of sleep. I mightn't feel muscle tightness, but it is there, so a relaxer every now and then gets rid of this unseen tension.

I've thought along similar lines about pain meds. Should I take them regularly irrespective of pain levels, or just when it is getting bad? Taking them regularly would probably avoid some pain, but then the meds might become ineffective after a while.
    So I'm taking them only when i have to. There is a bit of catch up if I leave it a bit long, but I believe that the fewer drugs we take the better.
    It is hard to get the balance right as the desire to minimise drug intake can leave you unmedicated and suffering needlessly.
  • Muscle relaxers combined with pain killers or other drugs for that matter can cause heavy sedation, loss of coordination and more. It is very important to take them only as prescribed!

Please consult with your doctor if you are confused as to how and when you are supposed to take them.

• Hi, my PM dr. is cutting his hours and wants his
    patients to see his physician assistant. I've only seen
    him a few times so I'm wondering if I should see the
    assistant or move on to another PM dr. Any advice?
    Thanks. I've had one nerve block by him and I am on
    pain meds that he put me on.
  • Dorothy,

I would do what seems right in your heart. If you feel okay seeing the PA, then go for it. If the situation just doesn't seem right, then take action and do whatever it takes to make it feel right.

You have to take care of you.

• :) hi! i take Flexeril in the morning to prevent spasms. if i need another i take as needed. it has worked well for me that way. good luck! Jenny :)
  • the Skelaxin goes. I would take it regularly. It is non narcotic and when I was taking it I never felt sedated at all. The dosing for the skelaxin is different for everyone. I was told to take it 4 x's a day. I chose only to take it 3x's a day. It is better to "prevent" the pain then to try to take care of it when it is already happening. But do as your doc say's.
    As far as seeing his assistant. This seems to happen alot, especially if your apts are mainly to manage your meds. I seen the nurse practitioner more than I had seen him. But the NP always kept in touch with the Dr. When I needed to see the doc or had more questions that I needed answered by him then I made the apt with him. When you have your first apt with the PA let him know your concerns and how he plans to help you and if you need to see the Dr what do you need to do to schedule the apt with him.
  • dorothy- I took Skelaxin daily for muscle spasms until it stopped working. I then went on Soma. I did notice that I was not sleepy on Skelaxin as I was on Soma.

I would ask the dr or his PA about the dosage recommendations. Maybe call the office and leave a message about the recommended dosing. :-C ...jade
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    NO matter what medication you are on, it is SO important that you adhere completely to the way your doctor wrote the script. Each type of medication has a specific way it should be administered. If you change those instructions, you could find yourself dealing with some of the negative effects of those medications.

I have had muscle relaxer (Rhobaxin) written as 2 pills 4x a day. My current Zanaflex (4mg) is one in the morning one at bedtime. When I was on Oxycontin, it was once in the am and once in the pm.

Now there are also medications written as PRN. Basically that means take as needed.

Bottom line: Adhere to the instructions written on the pill bottles If you have any questions about your medications, always consult your doctor and/or your pharmacist.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I used to take Skalaxin and it was prescribed to take it four times a day... I only took it two times a day and it seemed to keep the muscle spasms down a bit, but that is the way the doctor prescribed, to be taken on a schedule (he knows that I took it less but kept it prescribed as 4x- just in case the need arose). I didn't ever feel sedated while on this med even when taking it four times daily. Soma on the other hand did make me feel slightly sedated and majorly constipated!(TMI)
    Check with your doc to see what HIS recommendation is.