Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is chronic pain to you.

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Chronic Pain
The development of chronic pain has its origins in acute pain, the chronic element is as unique as to have comparable individuality of DNA itself. The layered elements include depression, opinions, anxiety and experience, coping, stress and the individual mode we use at any given time. These have usually been developed over time and reinforced through behaviour, as they rotate our psyche we address each prominent one, either singularly or all at once. Each layer is complex in its own right, and interdependent on each other, a matrix of supporting elements.

These concepts and individuality may support the notion that we all feel pain differently based on these and one persons 3 is another’s 8 as a consequence. Chronic pain is described as a “syndrome in it own right” and surmised that the elements that are “valid for recovery of acute pain aspect are not translated to chronic pain”. The spectrum of each element is fluid and diverse if we see this measure as 1-100 range we can at any given time be at no determined position, we all live under the umbrella of the concept of chronic pain but our unique recipe and level is maintained by many factors. “Chronic pain rarely has no single cause but instead the result of multiple interacting causes a variety of subtle physical and psychological factors that interact and contribute to chronic pain.” Melzack and Wall, The Challenge of Pain. 1982.

In attempting to manage it better or more effectively we develop a version that in truth surpasses our need and function and although it may be tentatively adequate, it restricts our lives as a consequence, we have not done this with intention or malice just in the objective of coping better.

We can survive at is level of constraint, in the belief that this is all that it has to offer, the optimum range would be to have sufficient coverage with less of the unnecessary restrictors, it would seem logical that if we have constructed our own parameters we could with some assistance deconstruct it, and this far harder than initially determined and the multi faceted mode of improvement, academically deemed to be the most successful.

The aim of residential PM in England has been to assist us to be more productive and use the concept of cognitive behaviour to manage our pain more effectively over time that we ourselves can have some control, with the help and support of clinical psychologists occupation and physical therapists we deconstruct the layers and move closer to the optimum range, they never said the pain would be reduced as a consequence, just the concept of how we feel about it, that takes some understanding.

Chronic pain compresses our existence and makes doing normal things impossible, and that becomes our norm, it is what it means to us individually, we share those confines and understand that unsaid restriction. We have excess capability supporting these extra restrictors that with some fine tuning can be managed in our favour, with the correct support and guidance. This site through the sharing of knowledge and understanding is attempting to foreshorten that learning time/experience equation that through trial and error can be so physically painful.

Some of the theory has been the attempt to interject sooner in the journey of pain so that these chronic pain elements have limited time to develop, rather than wait till the full blown life style has been created, before medical intervention is used, the longer we live with the symptoms the more entrenched they become, and proportionately difficult to rectify. I do have some inner peace from my newbie days of anger frustration despair loss of hope and intermittent depression, I live closer to the optimum level now, having been supported by my PM team and professor alike, and for that I thank them.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

• :) you have a good point about needing a support system to draw closer to the norm and away from the edges of functioning. if we see the smallness our lives have become and are unable to do anything about it then it becomes all the more obvious the need for support. we must be true to ourselves first before we can begin to see through the rigors of chronic pain. many people actually begin to live after spending some time here on the forum. there lives are opened up and we hear of lighter hearts and souls when this happens. having the fortitude and forbearance to follow through can not ensure a more fulfilled life but is a good start. the civility we seek to put back in our lives can face set backs as we still deal with pain issues, let alone life issues. having that support can carry you past these barriers and into the light. not being defined by pain but living a life where we control the pain and our lives is such a precious gift. =D> Jenny :)
  • is a pain in the @ss... no the back... no the legs... no the feet.... you get the point.

John, I'm not so philosophical about it anymore. Over the course of my lifetime, I've gone through many, many phases of trying to understand what I go through and, ya know what? it is what it is. Pain. That's it.

I must say my journey has been very profound and often I do reflect on various aspects of that but, really, when it comes right down to it, pain is pain is pain. What can you say? It's my reality, or a part of it, and I need to accept that and live my life. :)

• "It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."

Julius Caesar
  • it is your worst enemy
This discussion has been closed.