Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

waiting decompression and fusion L4-S1 surgery (IN PAIN)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 47 yr old journeyman roofer granny. I hurt my back at work may 16th 08. And have been thru all the docs following catscan findings of spondylithesis. Lifting too much to often I guess. I am awaiting surgery which should take place in the next 3 weeks. One of my main concerns is will I need a walker or will arm type crutches be enough. I go tomm. to be fitted for a harris brace. This is to be worn approx. 3 months post-op. does anyone know what determines if the surgery is performed from the front or back? I am very worried that my career will be over. I LOVE ROOFING! And do realize that I that it will be a long recovery. But my surgeon promises that I will be able to continue in my field of work. I am wondering does anyone have any remarks on the smoking has to stop due to drastic increase in surgery failure.??????? Please let me know. I live in BC Canada.

• Welcome to spine-health,many members have had to quit smoking before thier surgury,read the quit smoking section,and the back surgury section...
  • I had a PLIF and had to use a walker. I'd think that crutches wouldnt be that good on a back that was just operated on because of the stretching to the body that occurs when using the crutches.

Good luck with your surgery,
    Christina :)
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are very wise to be preparing for your surgery. there are many things to do and questions to be answered. bigcat gave you some good places to look for answers. you might even take advantage of the old forum archives for answers. also be sure to read "Good News" forum so you have some more positive input before your surgery. it would be really good news if you quit smoking! good luck and please keep us informed as you progress. Jenny :)
  • Welcome to SH. The most important thing that you can do before surgery is make sure that you are confident with your surgeon.As far as the smoking goes you may want to check the surgery section as there was a recent thread on this subject. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.