Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin and Zanaflex or Flexeril mix and pain med

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:21 AM in Pain Medications
I was wondering can you mix Neurontin 300mg with Zanaflex 40mg? Or the same Neurontin with Tramadol 50mg?

I started to last night but thought if I don't wake up then I'm in trouble then.

I just started Neurontin this week but don't feel the difference, does it take a while for the med to get in the body?

• My doctor just added Gabapentin to my list of medication for pain. I have a bulging disc with annular tear. It was considered mild on my MRI a few years ago. Didn't feel like it was mild. They also found a spondy slip grade 1. My neurosurgeon said my spine was stable and no need to operate there. I have been taking tramadol for years. Also Celebrex. I have been taking 300mg of tramadol a day mostly. My doctor said I can only have 250 now. I stopped the Celebrex recently because of stomach problems. I take Prilosec now. My back is worse without the Celebrex. I bought some Turmeric tea. Haven't drank it yet because my stomach is still weak. My pain manager said I should look into surgery. I told him my neurosurgeon said it could make me worse. He didn't agree. He said he can't give me anything stronger for pain. I am the one who asked for Neurontin. I am starting to take it now. The first time I took it at night I felt so out of it. Even though it says 3x a day 300mg. I have been going slow. Took it at night only for 3 nights. I added the morning one yesterday. I have an important dentist appointment this morning. So I don't want to drive with the Gabapentin in my system. I will wait until I get home. That will be about noon. There are moderate interactions with the meds I take. I'm taking Tramadol, zanaflex, Gabapentin. I also have to take the Gabapentin 2 hours before or after my Prilosec because of the absorbtion reasons. My question is, does anyone take Gabapentin for disc problems like an annular tear? If there is a moderate interaction with these meds, is it still okay to take them. I have been but I spread them out. My pain manager isn't the best to communicate with. I am looking for another doctor. Or, are they all the same? Why can't he give me something stronger If I am truly suffering. How can I exercise or do physical therapy in pain. He knows I quit the Celebrex. The Gabapentin makes me feel weird. But I am desperate for pain relief so I am taking it on a trial basis. Will the side effects subside over time. I need a good pain manager to guide me to better health. Instead of forcing me into surgery. Thanks!
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 554
    edited 03/12/2015 - 3:00 AM
    I'm on 1800mg of gabapentin. I started out on a low dose. Just took one at night. It really made me groggy. My pain doctor advised me to give your body time to get used to it. I have been slowly increasing it. It does work better than the other meds I was on for nerve pain. However, weight gain is a main side effect. I take the gabapentin along with hydrocodone & I take Zohydro ER. I have heard of some people that just can't tolerate the gabapentin. I would just keep slowly increasing it & see if your body will adjust to it.
  • My 13 year old daughter was originally on gabapentin. Her dose was 200mg TID. Due to severe Leg pain it was upped to 300mg TID while still in the hospital. There was no slow introduction, straight to every eight hours.
    My understanding is that you need to be taking it at evenly distributed times to keep an effective level in your system. So only taking it once a day would mean it will take longer to become effective. With that said - I was told that the med could not be stopped abruptly and needed to be tapered off.
    My daughter is just shy of three weeks post surgery and we stopped the gabapentin a week a go. She hated the tasted of the liquid (it's nasty) and does not swallow pills (even cutting the capsule open and mixing it was still nasty). She also did not like how it made her feel - very groggy and very forgetful (hard enough having ADD but a med that causes forgetfulness was not good). She told the surgeon she would rather deal with the pain (which she had before surgery and managed without meds). Ironically she has had no nerve pain since stopping the gabapentin.
    Sorry I can't help with the med interaction part but I would ask your pain manager or your pharmacy.
    Good luck and hope you find relief soon.