360 spinal fusion

360 spinal fusion

Welcome to Spine-health’s Lower Back Pain patient community. You can also read doctor approved Lower Back Pain Articles and watch Lower Back Pain Videos.
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
txsunshine
Title: Member
360 spinal fusion

I have been living with back pain for over 21 yrs now. had a simple Lamintomy done some yrs ago. it was a breeze. Now I am in some extreme pain daily. going on for 13 yrs and getting worse. having pain sitting, laying down, standing,
pain holding brand new grandbaby even. now the doctor wants to do a one level fusion. l5-S1 my concerns are...how bad is the pain after the op. I recently woke up scraming bloody murder - couldn't move with this extreme pain. felt like my back was braking into or being twisted over and over.. just can't explain the pain that I felt but it was the worse ever I have ever felt. and there are lots of moneys I wake up and feel this way, cant bend, can;t sit, can't lay down, all i can do is try to walk it off. but at first the pain is so bad you can't move, can't do anything buy scream. so will this pain be anything like this? after the op? and how long would it last, can it be bearable with meds? and would it actually take this old pain away???

advertisement
txsunshine
txsunshine wrote:I have been

txsunshine wrote:
I have been living with back pain for over 21 yrs now. had a simple Lamintomy done some yrs ago. it was a breeze. Now I am in some extreme pain daily. going on for 13 yrs and getting worse. having pain sitting, laying down, standing,
pain holding brand new grandbaby even. now the doctor wants to do a one level fusion. l5-S1 my concerns are...how bad is the pain after the op. I recently woke up scraming bloody murder - couldn't move with this extreme pain. felt like my back was braking into or being twisted over and over.. just can't explain the pain that I felt but it was the worse ever I have ever felt. and there are lots of mornings I wake up and feel this way, cant bend, can;t sit, can't lay down, all i can do is try to walk it off. but at first the pain is so bad you can't move, can't do anything buy scream. so will this pain be anything like this? after the op? and how long would it last, can it be bearable with meds? and would it actually take this old pain away???
backache99
backache99's picture
Lisa i could have written your post!!!

i am 16 years from my first operation that was also a laminectomy and i too am just like you .in pain all the time can't sleep and waiting for a 360 {ALIF } this dec .i will tel you what my consultant told me .the operation will take anything from 4/7 hours stay in hospital anything from 5 / 14 days recovery is not a good place to be the first months is hell {my consultants words} then its 12 months of gentle rehab and a further 2 years to get to be as good as you are going to be ..the pain you are suffering with now should be gone post op .but you and i will be in a different type of pain for a few weeks .if things go well we should be feeling better after 3 months .just remember its a massive operation and not to be undertaken lightly and make sure that your consultant is up to the job .you only get one chance to fix your back with a fusion .i wish you all the best and i hope that you have got a good support network set up when you get home .i don't know about you but i am just about managing to get through the day and i am placing all my hope in this operation ,.i have booked a holiday with my wife a week before my op ..just in case ..it my last one !!
tony {UK}

1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014

jellyhall
Title: Moderator
Hi Lisa ....

and welcome to Spine Health. Wave

Everyone is different how they feel pain, and every surgical recovery is different, depending on what exactly is done.

Spinal surgery is never a walk in the park, but with pain medication afterwards, it should be bearable.

Personally speaking, I was also in a lot of pain before my surgery. I found that my pain levels were lower after surgery, even in the first few days. That surprised me, as I was expecting very high levels of pain during the recovery.

I am so much better now, and if I wasn't having problems in others levels, I think I would be pretty much back to normal again.

I found that informing myself as to what the surgical procedure involved, and reading of others experiences (good and bad), I was mentally prepared. So much so that my anticipation of the surgery was worse than the reality, which was a lovely place to be. Smile

I would certainly go ahead with my fusion again, if I was having to decide.

Wishing you well and hoping to hear that you are feeling much better and back to your life again, some time in the future.

janiski
janiski's picture
360 fusion

Hi and Welcome,

I had a 360 fusion of L4/L5. It got rid of all the problems and pain I was having. The recovery is long but worth it. I was able to start walking in the hosptial (in for 5 days) and then short walks several times a day when I got home.

I also was able to swim after the incision healed. Its wonderful to be weightless.

I had a safety bar installed in my tub/shower and used a plastic stool to sit on. Also a long handled shoe horn and long handled grabber are helpful. Easy fitting elastic waistband pants are essential. Be sure things you need are up and out of low cupboards.

Follow your doctor's advice about no bending, twisting, etc. There will be days when you think it is never going to get better but it does!! Smile

I have had 3 fusions total (and a laminectomy prior to the fusions). My most recent was L5/S1. All of my fusions have been successful. Just remember to be patient.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.