Neck Pain with Head pain - Ever make your head feel heavy?

Neck Pain with Head pain - Ever make your head feel heavy?

Welcome to Spine-health’s Neck Pain patient community. You can also read doctor approved Neck Pain Articles and watch the Neck Pain Video.
10 posts / 0 new
Last post
ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Neck Pain with Head pain - Ever make your head feel heavy?

I have cervical problems (listed below) that gives me head pain. Most of it is in the base of my skull but can go up and my head feels tight. Sometimes it can feel like pressure from the outside pushing on the top center of my head. Sometimes I have I guess occipital nerve pain that goes into my left eye and ear, jaw.

Does the pain ever make your head feel heavy when you walk?

What do you do to help this pain? (None med wise?)

Also I have left arm pain and slight weakness , sometimes goes into my legs.

Ugh it is messing with my life. Sad

Thanks guys

Jen

advertisement
Kris-NY
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 weeks ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/05/2009 - 6:23pm
Shopping

Hi Jen

I feel this way when I am shopping. Turning my head sideways to look at things and looking up. This quick frequent turning makes me feel weird. Not quite pain but uncomfortable and very tired. First time this happened was in a home depot. THought it was just because I hate that store - lol. THen I noticed it in a Michaels craft store and other stores where I have to look for what I want. The regular food store doesn;t bother me as much I guess because I know where everything is.

Not sure if that helps. I don't have an answer but I will be mentioning it to the neuro tomorrow when I check in with him.

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Kris-NY

HI
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I get that way sometimes too in shops. At home I can be ok, then I go out and it's like woah. Weird.

JKDE302
JKDE302's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 2 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 11/13/2008 - 9:07pm
.

I have the same problems also...Only thing I know to do is lay down so my neck does NOT have to hold my head up....sorry..will you have have surgery?
I know all sbout that pain in the jaw and at the base of my head...

The disc that has (disc desiccation) will probally need to come out and be replaced ...at least in my case it will..

I think it comes from the stress of depression or Fibro that will break the spine doen and cause the type of DDD that can ruin peoples lives at a young age....idk

once you have disc (desiccation) which is "atrophy" or "drying out" of the intervertebral disc at a young age thats a serious problem...sometimes I think it might come from taking medicine for depression...I really dont know...

sunny1966
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Title: Member
Joined: 01/02/2009 - 1:25pm
Hi Jen

I have that pretty much all the time! Except if I can lie down or lean my head back against something to take the pressure off. I feel like my head is so heavy that my neck can't hold it up. Like someone is trying to shove my head down between my shoulders. I have it when walking, driving. If I'm trying to carry anything (a watering can to water flowers, a leaf blower etc.) it feels like its tearing my head off. Does this describe any of your feelings? Sorry I have no solutions...gee, a lot of help I was right?
Take care and feel better.

Debbie

michiganjewel (not verified)
Title: Member
I can relate

Yes, I get that feeling as well. It feels like your neck is too weak to hold up your head. Sucks, huh? It's comforting though to know others's that know what the heck you are talking about. I've been getting that pain in my left eye you talked about. I didn't know if it was related or not, weird. Hang in there, we are all in the same boat. I hope things get better for you.
Julie

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Hi Debbie

sunny1966 wrote:
I have that pretty much all the time! Except if I can lie down or lean my head back against something to take the pressure off. I feel like my head is so heavy that my neck can't hold it up. Like someone is trying to shove my head down between my shoulders. I have it when walking, driving. If I'm trying to carry anything (a watering can to water flowers, a leaf blower etc.) it feels like its tearing my head off. Does this describe any of your feelings? Sorry I have no solutions...gee, a lot of help I was right?
Take care and feel better.

Debbie

Don't feel bad that you don't have a solution. If there was a solution we all wouldn't be here in pain. Smile . Hearing what you have to say helps my nerves. I think you described it right on. Terrible stuff. Laying down does help. Out of all the meds I'm taking I think the muscle relaxer helps the most. When the muscle relaxer works full force and I feel drugged out (which is unfortunate) for an hour I get the best relief. My vicodin does help when it hits me like it should for an hour or so. It is disappointing that the meds only work for an hour or two...But I guess they still work for at least six hours till the next dose, but I just don't feel it so much. If only it gave me longer relief without the drunk like feeling I would have happier times.

I've been slapping icy hot on my neck and using a soft collar with the meds and it does help more. I don't want to take more meds so I'm trying non med stuff as well.

It's just really disappointing how it has gotten more intense since may of this year. I had a good six months though before that. Maybe stress of school and what not is intensifying it. WHO KNOWS...

Thanks again!

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
JKDE302

JKDE302 wrote:
I have the same problems also...Only thing I know to do is lay down so my neck does NOT have to hold my head up....sorry..will you have have surgery?
I know all sbout that pain in the jaw and at the base of my head...

The disc that has (disc desiccation) will probally need to come out and be replaced ...at least in my case it will..

I think it comes from the stress of depression or Fibro that will break the spine doen and cause the type of DDD that can ruin peoples lives at a young age....idk

once you have disc (desiccation) which is "atrophy" or "drying out" of the intervertebral disc at a young age thats a serious problem...sometimes I think it might come from taking medicine for depression...I really dont know...

Sorry to hear about your potential upcoming surgeries . Sad

Yeah, DDD definitely ruins peoples life's and gives them a lot of challenges and trying moments. Not someone I'd wish on anyone that is for sure.

Well I only had been taking depression meds since the start of the pain, so I don't think they are the results of what I'm going through.

So has your doctor explained why atrophy happens? I'll probably ask mine, but he'll probably want me to focus on just dealing with it, instead of obsessing about it...

Well thanks and sorry to hear your pain!

ButterflyPain
ButterflyPain's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Title: Member
Joined: 08/09/2008 - 2:42pm
Hey Julie

michiganjewel wrote:
Yes, I get that feeling as well. It feels like your neck is too weak to hold up your head. Sucks, huh? It's comforting though to know others's that know what the heck you are talking about. I've been getting that pain in my left eye you talked about. I didn't know if it was related or not, weird. Hang in there, we are all in the same boat. I hope things get better for you.
Julie

Yeah, it is definitely comforting to know others go through the same thing.
However like you said, it sucks a lot.
No one understands. My teacher doesn't seem to want to work with my disability. She said she was in a car wreck and couldn't move her arm but she made it through blah blah ... Was trying to push alternative medicine on me etc. I'm like wow, you really don't know. It's just ugh.

Thanks again!

Jefferson Fracture (not verified)
Title: Member
have you thought of

have you thought of researching "craniocervical instability?" It sure sounds like you could have this. I do. But mine is due to trauma.