What Kind of Doctor

Welcome to Spine-health’s Sciatica, Leg Pain and Radiculopathy patient community. You can also read doctor approved Sciatica and Leg Pain Articles and watch Sciatica Videos.
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Title: Member
What Kind of Doctor

What kind of Dr do I need to see for Sciatica? thanks

haglandc (not verified)
Title: Member

Hi and Welcome to Spine Health. Typically an individual has to start out by going to their general practitioner for an initial evaluation and then from there a referral can be given to the spine specialist. The important first step is getting in to see the doc for a hands on evaluation and to treat any acute symptoms.


dilauro's picture
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Title: Moderator
Joined: 06/16/2008 - 9:41pm
Welcome Willow

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
In addition, you can always contact any one of the members of the Authority team haglandc , tamtam , Neck of Steel , Cath111

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at or send me a message

Follow what "C" told you. There are normally two doctors and perhaps several steps before you get down to the root of your problem.
Your primary care physician will do a clinical examination to see what your problem may be.
Based on those results:

-> Off for some Physical Therapy and some NSAIDS
to try to correct the situation

-> Sending you to a specialist (ie Neurologist or Neurosurgeon ) who should be able to hone more into the problem.

If it is warranted, either of the above doctors could setup a MRI for you to get more diagnostic information.

Most of the type when a person suffers from sciatica pain, its a result of a nerve in the spinal cord that is being impacted by a disc.
In milder cases, it may just be inflaming the nerve causing the pain, to a bigger problem is a disc is impinging a nerve root.

So many people today suffer from Sciatica pain and so many never need surgery. There are so many conservative treatments that you can go for that might be your answer

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Moderator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences.