3 weeks after 360 Lumbar Fusion

Welcome to Spine-health’s Back Surgery and Neck Surgery patient community. You can also read doctor approved Back Surgery and Neck Surgery Articles and watch Surgery Videos.
15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Title: Member

I wanted to share my experience -

I have had a spondolysistheis fracture at L5 S1, bone on bone L5 S1 herniation - scoliosis

I had a 360 degree lumbar fusion 3 weeks ago and have ZERO back pain!!!! My surgery was very sucessful at this point.

I am up walking 2 miles per day, stopped smoking, lost 10 lbs - very happy with the out come.

I was in total shock when my surgeon told me what he wanted to do - I was scared and stressed. The surgery was tough and surgical pain intense - but everyday gets easier!

I went to the doctor last week and got to see x-rays of my new spine and I am impressed my back has hardware - screws and bars -

I am happy I did this surgery and hope everyone has the success I am having. Please pray for my continued success.

Kimberly

advertisement
Pika (not verified)
Me too!

I had a 360 fusion 4 weeks ago. Disc replacement and hardwear. Freaky to see the X-rays huh? I also am walking at least a mile not more because of a nerve issue. I feel great! No back pain since the surgery and I went home about 24 hours later. I know I am not supposed to bend but it happens once in a while out of forgetfullness. I cannot believe I had surgery a month ago and have not had any pain. I feel weird in my new back, kinda out of place. My posture and gait are so different but hopefully for the better. I wish everyone a continued success in recovery and those awaiting a procedure some confidence that all will go well. Good Luck everyone!

cherish22
cherish22's picture
Kimberly

That's awesome!!! So glad your are pain-free!! Just keep that walking. I was told it was the number one best thing you could do!

Cheri

EMS Guy
Be Careful!

That's wonderful about feeling good! Just keep in mind not to over do it at this point. At the 3 month point, I was feeling great as well. Actually, better than I had ever hoped for.

But then extensive rehab kicked in. I began all the BLT and next thing you know, I had pain again (totally different from what I had pre-surgery). Now, almost 2 years later, I still have flare up's that flat put me down for days at a time.

My biggest suggestion is not to push things. Walking is the best thing to do. If you can get aqua therapy done, do it! That works and feels wonderful. If you proceed to land therapy after that, just take your time with anything requiring BLT.

Good luck!

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2

horsegirl (not verified)
scared to have surgery

Hi, that is reassuring to read, I am supposed to have this surgery as well and am so scared. Looking to find people who have had it and have done well. I am used to being in pain but don't want to be any more. Any advice is appreciated. How are you doing now??

Magnumtagem
Magnumtagem's picture
blt

what is a blti am walking 1-2 miles a day after l5-s1 micro and feel great also. hope you all see continued pain relief.

gwennie17
bending, lifting and twisting

BLT is shorthand for the actions you must avoid while you are healing.

iowarobin
iowarobin's picture
BLT

means no bending, lifting, and twisting. So be careful.

pepper09
pepper09's picture
can you bend your knees or does that violate blt?

iowarobin wrote:
means no bending, lifting, and twisting. So be careful.

I hate to be so technical, but can you bend with bending your knees without bending your back?

pepper09
pepper09's picture
Good luck with your surgery....

horsegirl wrote:
Hi, that is reassuring to read, I am supposed to have this surgery as well and am so scared. Looking to find people who have had it and have done well. I am used to being in pain but don't want to be any more. Any advice is appreciated. How are you doing now??

I don't know what type of surgery you are having, but being used to pain will definitely help especially for the 1st couple of days. For me, I was in a lot of pain at the hospital for 2 1/2 days, but as soon as I got home and started moving around, the pain was bearable. It's day 17 since my one level fusion (L5, S1) and I am going to work tomorrow. I am feeling good except for a few bearable pains here and there. The pain that I experienced in the hospital is forgotten already.

Good luck with your surgery. When and what type of surgery are you getting?

iowarobin
iowarobin's picture
yes

Most spine paitents need to learn to bend at knees and not use their backs. I helps for future as well because it is better for general back health.

Pages