L4/L5, L5/S1 fusion in December 2012, immediate improvement, now feeling like I'm regressing???

L4/L5, L5/S1 fusion in December 2012, immediate improvement, now feeling like I'm regressing???

Welcome to Spine-health’s Back Surgery and Neck Surgery patient community. You can also read doctor approved Back Surgery and Neck Surgery Articles and watch Surgery Videos.
1 post / 0 new
Megmac
Megmac's picture
Title: Member

So on December 5, 2012 I had a multi level fusion at L4/L5 & L5/S1 (6 screws, stabilizer bars, cage, 1 spacer, the whole 9 yards). I felt immediate relief even in the hospital , although had extreme pain from bursitis that flaired up in my left hip (a symptom I had months before surgery, but had gone away) along with some numbness in my right lower leg. My doctor said it's most likely from relieving the pressure on all the nerves that where being pinched (he was amazed that I was walking the herniation was so severe).
Moving along the bursitis eased a little, but would only be a bother at night when laying on that side. That is until a few weeks ago when I woke up sore, as usual but the pain didn't go away, it just hurt to move my legs and core area. I had an appointment with my pain doctor (with the intention of weaning off the pain medication because I thought I was feeling better) and he suggested doing a couple steriod injections to ease the bursitis hoping that then I would not feel the need to take the pain meds. So Valentines Day I had 2 injections, a few days later I felt the hip pain was going away, which it has. But the pain in my core, almost like it starts at my tailbone has not gone away and I feel like it's almost getting worse. It feels like the nerves are spasming in that area anytime I move, especially when getting up from a sitting position. Then I think, is this all in my head? It's driving me crazy!! How I could feel better immediately after surgery and weeks later go the opposite way. I still feel really tired and weak. I'm doing physical therapy twice a week, which doesn't seem to irritate it or make it feel better, I feel stuck! I know the entire healing process takes at least a year if not more, I just didn't think I would go from what I thought was improving to feeling like I am regressing.

Is anyone else in this boat, or have been previously?? I'm scheduled to go back to work March 11th and am second guessing if I'm ready or if this is normal? HELP!

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!!

advertisement