Recovery time for a 360 fusion?~

Welcome to Spine-health’s Back Surgery and Neck Surgery patient community. You can also read doctor approved Back Surgery and Neck Surgery Articles and watch Surgery Videos.
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
hope4leo
Title: Member

I realize that everyone heals a different rate and understandably so. But is it generally take longer to heal from a 360fusion vs Anterior or Posterior?

I had a laminectomy done in 9/02 and was release to return to work at 5 weeks. My NS says that this is a much bigger surgery. Just wonder?!?!?!?!?

Surgery is set for Sept 8th at 11:30A

S~

advertisement
iowarobin
iowarobin's picture
Hi

I had a posterior fusion last December and my Ortho said it is harder to heal from a posterior than 360, but he couldnt do a 360 on me due to not having a surgeon to do the anterior moving of stuff. So I had posterior. Thats just what he told me as he gave me the option of going where I could have a 360 done.
You need to expect probably six months for recovery. I think when they tell you 3-4 they are full of it. It really takes at least a year for some to heal fully and longer for others. Not trying to scare you, just be prepared for a long recovery and be paitient. I am 9 months out. I am having my hardware removed on Fri due to pain from it. Good Luck on your reocvery and let me know how you are doing.

gwennie17
Hello ~

It takes much longer to heal from fusion than from the other procedures such as laminectomy, discectomy, etc. even if all involve an open procedure.

Regarding which heals faster, 360 or the PLIF or ALIF, there are two parts to this question.

The actual surgical healing will take longer with the 360 because the patient will have the equivalent of two surgeries -- one in the abdominal area and one in the back.

Regarding the actual fusion, the 360 usually fuses more quickly because new cells can grow from all directions. More surface is exposed to the grafted "bone" so there are more cells to multiply faster.

Recovery is very slow regardless of the procedure. The patient will have restrictions for the first three months. Returning to work depends on the patient and the job involved. It can take one to two years to have a good, solid fusion.

hope4leo
Good info- Thank you!~

Good information to know ladies- Thank you!

iowarobin - good luck with your procedure on Friday- I will keep you in my prayers!~

S~