Norco 10/325 question ?

Norco 10/325 question ?

Welcome to Spine-health’s Pain Medication patient community. You can also read doctor approved Pain Medication Articles.
8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous (not verified)
Norco 10/325 question ?

Hey all what's up. I have been a long time user of norco 10/325 about 8 a day 2 at a time. It really has worked wonders but my question is has anyone had this affect their liver? I can't tell if I have liver pains or if I'm just constipated (I really am backed up). Anyway I made the switch to dilaudid 4mg ever 4hr for breakthrough instead or norco. I
Have Taken 2 today already and noticed nothing smiley it was a life saver when I had it on the pump in the hospital after my rib resection. What you think? Was this a smart move ? Lol. Thanks everyone! If anyone has any questions about thoracic outlet syndrome let me know I am now officially an expert !! smiley

bluemoonshine
I've never taken dilaudid

I've never taken dilaudid but I was recently taking almost the same amount of norco's as you were, but I've been on hydrocodone for about 2 yrs and eventually they were not as effective as they have been in the past, so I asked my pm doc for the next thing stronger and he gave me oxycodone hcl 15mg 1 every 4-6 hours as needed for breakthrough pain , they work great for me and don't have any acetaminophen.

flower12345
Dilaudid didn't work for me

Dilaudid didn't work for me either.

BionicMomRN
Dilaudid effects

The hydromorphone that you got in your "pump" (PCA) in the hospital is not the same as taking the pills at home. In the hospital the hydromorphone (Dilaudid) that you received was intravenous. The Dilaudid you take at home is in the form of pills and metabolizes differently. When you take any pain med by mouth (any drug actually) it undergoes the "first pass effect"...meaning a portion of it is metabolized by the GI tract or liver before you benefit from it, end result...less of the drug is available to act systemically. When you take a med by other means (Intravenously, intramuscalar, sublingual (under your tongue), inhaled and rectally) you bypass this "first pass" metabolism of the med - therefore you do not lose any of the drug by the first pass effect. This may be why you aren't receiving the same pain relief from the same drug...you are taking it in, in different forms. Incidentally, a portion of hydrocodone metabolizes into a small amount of hydromorphone if I remember correctly from school. Unfortunately, hydrocodone isn't available in the U.S. unadulterated...it all has acetaminophen in it. I'm not sure why that is, you can get oxycodone without acetaminophen, it seems like you should be able to get hydrocodone too. I sure would like it if it was...because I too take Norco 10/325 and like you, I worry how much I damage my liver taking that much acetaminophen day in and day out.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that makes sense...just trying to explain why Dilaudid can be so effective in the hospital setting, yet not at home. (?)

Hope you are feeling better by now!

Robin
By mouth dilaudid has a poor

By mouth dilaudid has a poor bioavailability, which is is a subcategory of absorption and is used to describe the fraction of an administered dose of unchanged drug that reaches the systemic circulation. Your Dr/s know this so don't hesitate to let him or her know if your pain is not being managed properly.

queenjillybean
queenjillybean's picture
Dilaudid works wonders for me

I take 80mg oxycontin for my LA med and until February, took percocet 10/325 for my BT med. I was at same dose overall for 18 months, and after my 3rd fusion in January I had my percocet increased drastically and it failed. I have been taking Dilaudid 8mg 6 times a day since February and stopped the percocet, and have never been happier with my meds.
I am rxed up to 6 per day of the Dilaudid and the last 2 months have had 20-30 remaining each month end. My pain now is still worse than before surgery, but HUGE HUGE relief from dilaudid. I can say, that I "feel" NOTHING when I take the dilaudid, as opposed to when I took percocet, I could feel the physical effects of the percocet in my system. For me, Dilaudid has been a god-send. I am extremely opioid tolerant, and try to keep my meds as low dosage as possible. One thing I have found with some (not all and no insinuations being made) but often CPP's gauge the effacy of their meds based on how it makes them feel while the drug is active, as opposed to pain reduction. We are all different, how we react to and metabolize each medicine. As a spine patient since age 18, and for the rest of my life, it is a full time job to listen to my body speaking to me. I have had dilaudid in my PCA pump for more than a dozen surgeries, and personally find FOR ME that the oral tablet works wonders. Not the same as in a PCA, but it does work very well with zero feeling of having taken something for BT pain.

alexhurting
Scsoccer911

Probably would not be a bad idea have liver work up done by your regular dr. I know on my last pre op my dr did blood work up and she mentioned my liver count was a litle high. I also need to folow up with her especialy taking norco or other for the last 20 years at least. I am not realy sure i want to know. Its like what is our choice even if we find out meds are causing damage?

Unless there is something we can be taking to help stop the liver from being destroyed while being on these meds that i dont know about. My dad had liver transplant at the mayo clinic years ago before he died. And i would not want to end up needing that kind of surgery, not to mention the meds you have take after a transplant if you are even lucky enough to get 1. Alex

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
2012 scs implant ,

Cath111
Cath111's picture
What about Liv-52?

I wonder if adding Liv-52 (aka Livercare) is a viable option when taking high doses of APAP? Anybody have any reference on this?

I've taken it for ages, but ran out a while back and never bought more - it's usually only available through Amazon or through the manufacturer (can't remember who right now).

Something to think about and wonder if anyone here is supplementing due to the liver damage issue.

Cath