Meet Dr. John J. Knightly, MD
Dr. Knightly is a board-certified and fellowship-trained neurosurgeon with Atlantic NeuoSurgical Specialists.
His areas of expertise include complex spine surgery, minimally invasive spine surgery, stereotactic Cyberknife radiosurgery, tumors of the spine, deformity, and trauma.
Dr. Knightly at a Glance
- As a leader in the field of minimally invasive spinal surgery, as well as neurotrauma, Dr. Knightly helps patients return to the activities they love.
- He serves as director of neurosurgery at Morristown Memorial Hospital and the vice-chairman of Atlantic Health Institute, where he is also the medical director of the neuro-spine team.
If you want expert care for your spine condition, discuss your options with Dr. Knightly.
Dr. Knightly is a member of Atlantic NeuroSurgical Specialists
Directions to our primary location in
How Dr. John J. Knightly, MD Can Help You
- M.D., University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey
- B.A.,Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
- Acoustic Neuroma
- Arteriovenous Malformation
- Brain Tumors
- Chiari Malformation
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated Discs
- Metastatic Brain Tumors
- Pituitary Adenoma
- Spinal Tumors
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Brain Surgery
- Disc Replacement
- Endovascular procedures
- Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (XLIF)
- Lumbar Fusion
- Minimally Invasive Procedures
- Neurosurgical Oncology
- Skull Base Surgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
What Patients are Saying About Dr. John J. Knightly, MD
Dr. Knightly is a skilled neurosurgeon. When I first went to him, I was in pain for years and getting worse. He diagnosed the problem and went over the X-rays with me. He showed me exactly where the problems were. He scheduled surgery and what was to be a 2- 1/2 hour surgery ended up taking 7-1/2 hours (the most extensive surgery he has ever done I was later told.) But the results are wonderful. I had therapy for a long time, and I am recovered and in good shape. There is some discomfort, but nowhere near what it was. I am essentially pain free and not on medication (well, almost not!).— Mary
There is so much I can say about Dr. Knightly, but let me just highlight some points. He was extremely thorough in his examination and review of my tests. Dr. Knightly was understanding and patient in answering each question and spent as much time as needed. Two other top surgeons wanted to do a fusion. Dr. Knightly felt it was not necessary and explained what he would do. After the outpatient surgery, I am pain- free and walking straight after months of incapacitation. I highly recommended Dr. Knightly.— Dominick T.
In March 2015, Dr. Knightly performed a partial micro discectomy on L3 - L4 to relieve the symptoms I was having from stenosis in that area. I found his pre-op examination to be the most thorough I have ever experienced. He is quite remarkably one of the best physicians I have had the pleasure of needing.— George E.
Dr. Knightly did a three-level fusion on my back and restored my ability to walk. He’s not just a doctor. He really cares about people. I thank God everyday that he treated me like an individual, not just a number. In my eyes, he is the best.— Vitals.com
Accolades for Dr. John J. Knightly, MD
- Complex Spine Fellowship, The Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ
- Fellow, American Colleges of Surgeons
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Member, Spine Executive Committee of the AANS / CNS Section on Disorders of Spine and Peripheral Nerve (DSPN)
- Chair, AANS / CNS Scientific Program Committee and Annual Meeting
- Chair, AANS / CNS Quality Improvement Workforce Washington Committee
- Board Member, NeuroPoint Alliance
- Board Certified, American Board of Neurological Surgery
- Named one of "20 Surgeon Leaders in Independent Spine & Neurosurgical Groups” by Becker’s Orthopedic, Spine & Pain Management Review
Office Information for Dr. John J. Knightly, MD
310 Madison Avenue
Morristown, NJ 07960
Monday: 10:00 - 5:00
Wednesday: 10:00 - 5:00
Friday: 1:00 - 5:00
Profile last updated: June 6, 2018. This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.