Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

How did starting narcotic pain medicine change your quality of life?

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521

Most opioids have various dosages.  So, lets say with Oxycodone you are taking 5mg,  they can prescribe a 10mg, 20mg and so on.   Works that way with most medications

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • @itsautonomic, back when my troubles started, I didn't know much about SCS or pain pumps. All I knew that it was reserved as a last measure resort. I never expected to end up with them because surgery was supposed to make things better and help me get back to normal or close to it. Even then with my limited knowledge on pain management, I don't think I would have jumped into trying SCS without trying pain medications and other non invasive treatment first. 

It's best to start conservatively when possible as far as treatment is concerned. Have you done an SCS trial yet?
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561

@Meydey, I am of the same mindset, non invasive first.  I have not done the SCS because there are some risks for that also if not placed correctly, but mainly because the more questions I ask and we talk about it the doctor is pretty clear it will only address part of the pain problem so I have held off for now.

Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561

@nyxpooka that sounds like a rough go round and complicated situation to be in.  I would think that a drug test proven to be a mistake could be removed from the file, but I do not know enough about that side of things to know for sure.

I will say the drugs like cymbalta can be tricky because you see the bad side effects seemingly much faster than the benefits as they need to get in system.  But I would not call neurological drugs a "joke" simply cause they did not work in your case, for the right case they can mean the difference in suffering or not, for me nortriptyline was a life saver and cymbalta was at one time also, both for separate types of pain.  Often when a doctor prescribes a med for the wrong case it is not the medicines fault , they work as advertised , but they are often specific and work better for certain types of pain.  Understanding the root, the type and other characteristics about the issue and the pain are paramount to know how to treat.

Did you get any relief from physical therapy ?

Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82

Now I am considering talking to my PM doctor if any other meds can help with my nerve pain or even increasing my mg dosage of oxycodone.  I will call the office tomorrow, but they are very busy and probably will not get an answer anytime soon.  This is something to be researched as I wait on my RFA to be scheduled.  Thanks guys.

Akira/Chuck
  • advertisement
  • I see my PM doctors in about 5 weeks, still seeing how much the RFA is helping... or not. I'm a little better in the early morning hours but the same as the day goes on. My 1st 10 mg Percocet doesn't work that well, I take another 1/2 by 9 then I'm better. I could use something stronger or maybe more often. On my last visit they talked about changing up my medication, something ER would be nice. The zohydro they tried to get me never happened, ran into obstacles with my Rx plan and Cigna.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  •  @itsautonomic, you did what you thought is right for you. We know our bodies the best. I went ahead and tried the SCS because I had so much trouble walking and both legs were affected from prior nerve damage and subsequent lumbar stenosis. The stimulation only goes as high as the tailbone and not where I need it the most for chronic axial back pain. Otherwise, it's more for radicular pain than anything else in my opinion. I'm glad to have it as another tool for dealing with chronic pain. It may seem that I should be relatively pain free but it's not that way unfortunately. I'm also dealing with cervical radiculitis, arthritis, and DDD, so break thru meds are still needed. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Hi everyone I am new here and this is my first post. I have a short story and some questions for the more experienced elder members here. Please don't beat me up too much ;)

I am very tolerant to pain, I was so use to chronic back pain that I walked around for a few days with a 35% collapsed lung until I was hospitalized and had a tube put in my chest. I didn't know I had a collapsed lung, I just thought I tweaked my back. Most of my chronic pain that I live with is due to a bulging disc abutting a nerve root in my lumbar spine, I get very severe sciatic attacks and it drives me nuts sometimes. It was causing me to get poor sleep and limiting my daily functions. My PM doctor has me on Oxycodone as needed for pain which I take and it helps me a lot. I truly think it is a miracle drug because before I was getting very agitated with life and taking it out on people that I love, chronic pain wears on you as I am sure all of you know. Because I can suffer most of the day with the pain I take as little Oxycodone as possible, mainly to relax and sleep. Here is where I have questions and concerns. I did talk to my PM doctor and he told me that the current dosing I take is nothing to worry about but I am still concerned, he has given me gabapentin to try but it made me feel very sick and it didn't help with the pain, he told me it has to build up in my system to work which I am not okay with. I haven't taken the gabapentin since. Anyway, I take 5-10mg a day of Oxycodone and have been on that for a couple years. I normally will take one 5mg tab in the evening to take the edge off which helps me relax and helps a lot with the shooting, throbbing, stabbing pain down my leg and lower back. Lately I have been taking another 5mg for a total of 10mg a day usually right before bed and I can get a good 5 hours sleep which is great. My concern is I don't want to build a tolerance for the drug as I have noticed it becoming slightly less effective lately, I mean it still works but before I could take 5mg and sometimes that would be enough but lately a few hours after I take the initial 5mg I take another 5mg which then works fantastic. Am I heading down a slippery slope of building a tolerance? I have read studies that say once your brain builds a tolerance if you then take a "medication vacation" it still won't go back to baseline. I.E. Once you start to take the medication again for a few days you quickly get back to your original tolerance. I don't want this to happen to me. I want the lowest dosage to always work. My doctor told me they don't want me getting depressed and to not worry and just take the medication as needed but I have my reservations. Is it a good idea to go a couple weeks and clean out my system of the Oxycodone? I feel I can tolerate the pain for a week or two in order to achieve my goal. Am I overthinking this? Is 10mg a day really not a big deal? I have been reading through different forums and I see people taking a lot more than I, they must either be really suffering or not tolerant to pain, I mean nobody likes pain but some can tolerate it better and longer than others. My PM doctor mentioned that if I don't get withdrawal symptoms from not taking my medicine than I do not have a tolerance, that doesn't sound right to me as I feel I have developed a slight tolerance to the medicine. 

Please I am open to all answers and any advice. I am getting conflicting answers from take the medicine if it helps to completely stop taking it because it's poison and you will get addicted and end up taking much more than anticipated. My goal is to take 1-2 tabs a day to help me sleep and that's it, I don't want to increase my dose but I also don't want to suffer. 

Thank you for reading :)  

advertisement