Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

My 3 Surgeries in 5 Months Story

Hello everyone that reads this.  Below is my chronicle of having 3 back surgeries in 5 months.

My journey started in Sept 2015 with having a sudden sharp pain in my lower back and my left leg completely asleep and severe foot drop.   Between Dec 2015 and August 2016 I sent thru 7 epidural procedures and with a local pain management doctor.  After my 7th I started having bowel and bladder retention issues and a constant urge to urinate.  I went back to pain management doctor who said it had not related to the epidurals and then sent me to a urologist, whom concluded that it was in fact related to my epidurals.  The pain management specialized then said for me to have an 8th epidural and that should relief the urge.....well it didn't work.

Moving forward to Jan 23th of this year (2017) I went under for a laminectomy on L4-L5-S1  and ended up having bilateral laminectomies on L3-L4-L5-S1 with instrumentation (pedicle screws in L4 and S1 with 3 rods), and bone fusion. The Neurosurgeon also discovered a small 1/4 inch tear in my epidural sheath and had to do some micr surgery and sew in closed.  My post recovery was great and pain wasn't so bad and I was very mobile and walking a lot per doctors orders.  Then in end of February I felt a very subtle pop sensation in my lower back (S1 area) and waited about 2 weeks because I thought it would go away.  Well, it got so bad that I literally couldn't even walk (not even with a walker) and went to ER.  There the Dr on duty only took an X-ray and said everything was fine and prescribed me pain pills (which I don't take).  Another weeks goes by and still not better so I made appointment to see my Neurosurgeon which was a week later.  Upon me walking into an exam room the Neuro happen to see me trying to walk and immediately had me go to ER for emergency surgery on March 14th.  Ended up that one of my pedicle screws broke at the u-joint looking piece and had to replace it and redo the bone fusion.  He hadn't seen a broken screw in 20 years he stated.  Everything post surgery was great and then I noticed I was having a very similar pain like before my second surgery so then I had to go back into my 3rd surgery May 17th to explore and see what is happening.  Ended up having all the hardware removed because stress cracks developed on the 3 pedicle screws that were in tack.  He believes it was caused by the tension from 3 screws really holding everything in place and when he corrected it they moved slightly causing the cracks.

Most recently, this week of July 10th I started noticing that my left leg from calf down to my foot that numbness is coming back.  I've called my Neurosurgeon but haven't hear what I should do, if anything, or if it's just part of my healing.

So that's my story. :# :(

advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033

Wow scubamon,

I don't envy you at all, just reminds me how fortunate I am pending the final outcome of my 4th spine surgery.

If you question at all what your neurosurgeon discovers, don't hesitate to get a few more opinions from highly rated spine specialty surgeons.

Good luck and keep us posted here.

Ranger

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385

hello scubamon!

please click on links for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • Welcome...your story seems more like a night mare to me.  My spine surgeon likes CT scans more than x-rays to really look into situations.  You'll find lots of support here.