Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

did anyone try acupressure but sciatic pain?

and did it work for you?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Orani, have you mentioned this to your doctor?

I didn't try acupressure but did go to a place that did a fairly solid Chinese massage followed by acupuncture. After a few minutes I asked that he remove a couple of the needles, those are the sciatic triggers he says they will help and he leaves the room. 5 minutes later he returns, tears in my eyes I TELL him to remove those needles - he listened thankfully.   10 minutes after leaving I was to the stupid pain again.

I tried this before I had my MRI, knowing what I know now about my back (herniated disc and spondylolisthesis) I would NOT have that same treatment again. 

Now that I am 4 months post fusion with rods and screws, the idea of a gentler massage to relax a few muscles sounds appealing.

All I can suggest, based on my experience, is if you do decide to give it a try, make sure the therapist knows what your MRI says and you are comfortable with how they will modify the treatment. 

Let us know what you decide and how you go. Take care

• I've been experiencing sciatica pain for a number of years now — typical shooting pain right down my right leg. Acupressure therapy hasn't permanently fixed the pain, but it has provided weeks or more of relief after an appointment. (And if you experience sciatica pain, you know how welcoming even a day of relief is.)

Another tool I've made a habit of using is an acupressure mat. These don't exactly mimic what you'll receive from a professional acupressure therapist, but it's great for temporary maintenance relief. There are a bunch of companies around that sell these. My husband got me a buckwheat acupressure pillow (similar concept to mat) that can actually be heated in a microwave... think of combining a hot press and acupressure mat into one. I'm sure there are a number of companies that sell these, too, but mine is under the Kanjo brand.

Hope any 

• advertisement