Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Severe lower back pain & Depressed

Hi I'm new to this site. I am a 34 year old female. I'm feeling depressed, because of this horrible lower back & left leg pain & the numbness & tingling drive me crazy. I don't know what I did, I just randomly started having sciatic pain in my left leg to the back of the knee at work & it was tolerable, but annoying, I thought it was muscular, but then when it started going all the way down to my foot, it worried me a little, but it was still tolerable, then it got to the point where all I had to do was stand for a minute or two before the pain started. At that point I went to the dr & had an xray that showed narrowing L5-S1, so she prescribed a Medrol dose pack & ordered a MRI. These are the results:

tudy Result

Narrative

EXAM: MRI lumbar spine without contrast

HISTORY: Low back pain.

TECHNIQUE: Multisequence, multiplanar imaging of the lumbar spine was
performed without contrast material.

COMPARISON: None

FINDINGS:

There is straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis. Lumbar vertebral
body heights and alignment are maintained. Background bone marrow
signal intensity is within normal limits.

The conus is normal in signal and caliber, terminating at
approximately the L1 level. No evidence of mass lesion or epidural
collection is seen within the spinal canal.

L1/2: There is no significant posterior disc abnormality, thecal sac
stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing.

L2/3: There is no significant posterior disc abnormality, thecal sac
stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing.

L3/4: Mild broad-based disc bulge and facet arthrosis. Mild bilateral
lateral recess narrowing. No significant neural foraminal narrowing.

L4/5: Broad-based disc bulge with superimposed central disc
protrusion. Facet arthrosis. Moderate thecal sac stenosis. Moderate to
severe bilateral lateral recess narrowing. No significant neural
foraminal narrowing.

L5/S1: Broad-based disc bulge with superimposed central disc
protrusion. Facet arthrosis. Severe thecal sac stenosis and severe
bilateral lateral recess narrowing. No significant neural foraminal
narrowing.

No evidence of sacral insufficiency fracture. Subcentimeter T2
hyperintense renal lesions, too small to characterize.

IMPRESSION:

1. Broad-based disc bulge with superimposed central disc protrusion
and facet arthrosis at L5/S1 contribute to severe thecal sac stenosis
and severe bilateral lateral recess narrowing.
2. Broad-based disc bulge with superimposed central disc protrusion
and facet arthrosis at L4/5 contribute to moderate thecal sac stenosis
and moderate to severe bilateral lateral recess narrowing.

She then referred me to pain management. I saw the NP & she prescribed me lyrica & flexeril. The lyrica makes me feel like I had a mild stroke or something & neither seem to help the pain at all. I'm so depressed, because now I'm walking with a limp & I just need some relief from this pain, it's unbearable & it seems to get worse every day. I'm scheduled for an epidural injection. Does anyone have any suggestions on what worked to relieve the pain or any positive experience with epidural? Any advice is appreciated. Also I'm a nurse & I don't even fully understand the results, but nobody explained them to me. I know the Dr doing the epidural will, but any insight would be appreciated. I was surprised they didn't want me to do PT. I just feel alone in this, because I'm young, none of my friends have experienced anything like this. I'm sorry for the long post!

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

hello allycat777 

no one on the spine-health patient forums is medically qualified or permitted to provide any advice or recommendations on any diagnostic test. however, the following key words can always be applied.

mild treated with conservative measures such as physical therapy and mild medications. many times these situations can be cleared up and the condition can be resolved.

moderate some more treatments may be needed, ie spinal injections, ultra sound and stronger medications. always a possibility of more aggressive treatment if the conservative measures don't help 

severe need for stronger medications. the requirement for surgery may be necessary  

please click on the link for useful information welcome to spine-health

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you for that info. I've been to the dr now & she said I had one bulging disc & one herniated that was pressing on the nerves. 

• advertisement
  • I'm having the exact same problem as you and it's AWFUL. A part of me wants to get surgery asap. It's so depressing and awful. I feel your pain and I am so sorry. Wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

• AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82

allhcat, so what medications did the doctor prescribe for the nerve pain?  Any plans for ESI procedure?  I hope you have received relief from your pain and mentally getting stronger.  Good luck.

Akira/Chuck
  • I'm new to this as well and I completely understand your depression with this pain. It's definitely life changing to say the least. I wish you healing and hope you get to feeling better. I do feel alone most of the time. None of my friends have this either.

TonyaGB

• advertisement
advertisement