Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Could someone explain PT to me?

so I've went to a few PT with no success for treatment, but i wanted to know, do you guys get treated by the doctor or the assistants? 

I ask this because everytime i go to one i get treated with assistants who knows little about dealing with disc herniation. i always tho the doctor is the one who treats you?

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521

Steven, as I commented on your discussion about aqua therapy, do the same searching, but this time use physical therapy as your search.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Steven, a PT doctor is not an MD. I have had 100's of hours of PT. Usually, the assistant does the heat and icing and will supervise your exercises after the PT doctor has examined you and instructed the assistant as to what you do during your visit.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521

I am not sure how it is in the rest of the USA or elsewhere, but today in order to become a Physical Therapist in the State of Connecticut you must keep on schooling until you have your PhD.    5  years ago, a Master degree was enough.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • AWMAAWM NebraskaPosts: 75

Where I have gone to PT it has been a mixture of the actual therapist and their assistants.  As Ron described, I have had similar experiences.  

The assistant does a mild "warm up" with me, the therapist has me do some exercises and makes sure I know the correct way to do them, the assistant makes sure I do enough of the exercises, then the assistant administers a "cool down."  The cool down usually involves a massage, TENS unit time, and some warming pads.

I have had some success with PT.  I have also had times when it didn't work.  

Currently, I am dealing with a herniated disc at l5-s1.  PT is working for me.  I feel like I'm getting better.  But, for me, it is a slow process.  I have been doing exercises currently for 2 months.  I still hurt, but I have been slowly moving the pain out of my leg.

Give it some time to see if it works.  

Dec. 28, 2015 - Laminectomy L3 - S1 (Due to congenital stenosis.)
    Dec. 28, 2015 - Discectomy L3-L4; L4-L5; L5-S1 (L3-L4 & L4-L5 were bulging and L5-S1 was herniated.) 
    May 20, 2016 - Selective Nerve Root Block Injection L5 Nerve Root.
    July 15, 2016 - Epidural Steroid Injection L5 & S1 Nerve Roots.
    Oct. 31, 2016 - Microdiscectomy L5 - S1
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745

I have been very lucky with my PT for the past few years. The owner of a group of PT locations worked on me from day 1. He took a couple of days off throughout the years but he was my guy all along. He hurt me real good. He got his start being the trainer for a large college football team in Texas so he was used to large men like me. The other PTs never hurt me like this guy and I found it was better for the long term when he would hurt me. 

• advertisement
  • well im getting a mix of answers. but from what i can see, physical therapist evaluates you and then tells what exercises to do and when i have a pt appointment i do the exercises with the practioners. 

advertisement