Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatica

hey guys! New to this! About 6 weeks ago I started to get this awful aching in the back of my calf, felt like a muscle knot was really awful, I'm a smudge of a hypochondriac so thought it was a blood clot or something silly like that. However. I went to the doctors she said it's a pulled muscle. It went away after a few weeks, but I woke the other morning and my lower left back, all down my left thigh and my calf are now constantly on fire. It stays in my calf all day, it usually is worse when I'm sitting/laying down, I read online about sciatica but I haven't seen much about it mainly affecting the calf? My doc on a return visit said leave it and it sciatica, it will go away but sometimes tha pain is unbearable. Can anyone offer any advice/support? Can it just mainly affect your calf? It's like a numb tingling and very achy. Sometimes the back of the calf sometimes along the side. 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

hello denholm123

there are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice all responses will be based on members own experiences and not taken as medical advice.

the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

please click on the link for useful information welcome to spine-health

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,372

denholm123

below is a very good article on sciatica, it even gives advice on treatment.

sciatica treatment

you might consider a second opinion with a neurologist as soon as you can to rule out anything serious.
    my sciatica has returned with a vengeance. this morning it felt like someone was pouring hot water down my left leg.
    ice packs are my best friend when it does this. 

hang in there and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • I would suggest seeing an orthopedic or neurologist, someone who specializes in nerve pain. If it is getting to the point that it is unbearable and seems to be getting worse rather then better it could be something more serious causing the sciatica. I started off very similar to you, I had what seemed to be very tight achy muscles in the backs of my legs and it only bothered me at night when I layed down. I decided to stay active and work out more consistently. Exercise did help for some amount of time but the pain continued to get worse and started hurtinf when I sat too. It also traveled down into my calfs. Only was I can describe it is a sharp stabbing pain that would shoot from my thigh to my calf and my legs would burn too. It got to the point where I woke up every morning in far too much pain to go to the gym. When I saw my doctor he said sciatica and referred me to an orthopedic. I saw the orthopedic, he also said sciatica and had me do physical therapy. The physical therapist said it's just stiff muscles and nothing serious. Well... I could not longer drive after just 2 PT sessions. It was unbearable. I kept calling the office asking for an MRI to dig deeper and see what was causing this pain. No one would order me one. Finally after an ER visit the ER nurse faxed over a request to the orthopedics to get me an MRI. The MRI results showed a severe herniated disc L4-L5 pushing very hard on my nerve. After the orthopedic doctor reviewed it my options were steroid injections or surgery. He said with how bad my hernia was it would take 3-4 injections for the steroids to work if they even do work. So I decided I wanted to just go with the route of surgery. The pain has impacted every aspect of my life. I am currently bed ridden and have just a couple days left before my surgery date. All of this at the age of 24. So I recommend you get this checked out as soon as possible, demand an MRI. Hopefully if you catch it soon enough surgery can prevented if it is anything like what I have. Good luck! Keep is posted.

• AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82

I understand your calf burn.  I get that almost nightly, but not much during the day.  The ache is on the back and side of the calf with burning pain from the hip.  I have been told it's sciatica and keep doing the sciatica exercises to make it go away.  Unfortunately, it's not helping, but as weird as it is the pain comes and goes.  It comes more than it goes.  Definitely painful and annoying dealing with leg pain.  I usually use ice on my calves when the fire gets super hot and use my massager on my legs.  Good luck.

Akira/Chuck
advertisement