Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Bike caused back pain

First of, I'm new here.. This is my first post so hello everybody :)

5 days ago I was riding my bike and had this problem.. It's an older bike, and I use it only for transportation (no hobby) when the distance is too short to take a car, or the car is not even available. 

Anyway, I was riding it pretty fast without noticing that the front tire was deflated to cca. 50%. 

As i rode it, i hit into a bump on the road which was big like a tea-cup, i guess...

Since the tire was half-deflated it just went trough it and hit directly into the rim. I didn't fall down but the hit was pretty hard and i felt it in my back immediately (the bike has no shock absorbers which is even worse). 

However, I felt the hit immediately but the back pain started 5 minutes after I went to the place and got off the bike. Now it's 5 days later and i can't feel the pain going away. 

Specifically, it hurts on the upper back (left side of my spine). Sometimes the pain moves down to my lower back, but it's usually on the upper part which, i suppose, has something to do with the fact that i had kyphosis back in high school (i still have it, but it's not that bad as it used to be)

I haven't been to the doctor yet and I'm unsure if I hurt my back muscle or it's maybe a dislocated vertebra. 

Is this pain going to go away by itself or does it need treatment by a specialist?

Thanks in advance



  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,359

    hi redd187

    welcome to spine-health

    if the pain is still there after 5 days you might want to call your doctor. no one here could possibly know what is wrong, it would only be guessing and we can't and not allowed to give a diagnosis. best to call your doctor and get your pain under control.

    in the meantime, please click on the welcome link below for more information on how to use the forum.

    welcome to spine health

    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks for the quick reply, memerainbolt!

    Well I wasn't even expecting a 100% accurate diagnosis. I don't have the slightest clue what's going on with my back, so I was only hoping for a few comments to know what to expect when I go to the doctors. 

    I'll visit somebody in the next few days.. Until then I spend most of my time laying down and I'm wearing a spine correction girdle and it kinda helps. This morning I drove my car (which caused most of my pain) with that girdle and it didn't hurt at all! 

    So we'll see how this works out..


  • advertisement
  • I agree with the advice given. You could try heat and ice in the meantime as well as anti inflammatory rubs such as voltaren gel as these will work well if it's not too serious and not aggravate it if is is. Also some gentle stretching could help but please stop if you experience sharp pains. Your doctor really is your best option but understand sometimes you can't get in straight away. If you get a significant increase in pain get your self to the E R.


  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526

    From the description of your 'accident', I would lean towards a muscular problem.   They can bring on acute pain that lasts for a while.  But the only way to know for sure is to see your primary care physician.

    The previous posters had good statements.  Heat generally for the first 48 hours , then afterwards, Ice can help.

    Personally, I would not wear that girdle, unless your doctor instructed you to do so.

    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thanks for the advices, I really appreciate it.

    I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I feel the pain is going away. I avoid any type of activity that stresses my back and i use "deep heat" a hour or two before going to bed. I also took the advice with gentle stretching and no, i had no sharp pain EVER since this occurred.

    Since the pain started I never felt any changes in the amount of pain. It hurts, but there are no changes if i walk, work on something or stretch. It's always the same pain.

    However, in the last 2 days I felt that it's not like it used to be. Most of the day it doesn't hurt at all, until I provoke it with something like weird sitting style or something similar. Even then it's not the same insufferable pain.. It's just the 'oh hey I feel it again' type of pain :P

    Hopefully the problem will resolve itself in the next few days. 

    Thanks for all the help!

  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.