Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

my scoliosis - Part 2

advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427

11 months - actually just 5 days shy of 11 months.  it's been a long haul....i still have a long way to go, but i think i'm more than 3/4 of the way there!  had a bit of a rough couple of days....was cleaning up the yard a bit for winter (we've already had snow but thankfully it mostly melted).  so pulling out some sunflower stalks from around this big old mostly dead tree and was "ducking" around a branch that's cut off the tree...well, i don't "duck" real well anymore and ended up catching myself on the end of the branch.  huge "crack" sound from the backs of my ribs on the right side.....those bars don't give an inch....or even a half inch....so my poor ribs did.  my own stupid fault....so bruised in the front on my ribs from the branch, and more interestingly bruised in the back below my ribs.  BUT i can now lift my arm up over my head....i have a feeling i knocked a bunch of scar tissue loose.....sigh  not a good way to do it.  knocked the breath out of me.....that was on sunday.  i'm still feeling it back there today, but now it's just achy, and the bruise is getting better.  my PT checked it all out yesterday and said everything seems better than before i did it, but to take it easy for a few days. 

have more zapping across my lower back, and i think i can feel more back there again.  i still can't feel heat or cold.....and ironically light touch feels like pain, so i hope it figures it out soon.  PT yesterday, my balance is still all messed up.  i'm a little tired of that now.  so i got my hubby to pull a 2x4 out of the rafters of the barn and put it on the floor, so i'm walking the 2x4 every time i pass it to try to get this hurrying up....tired of being unsteady on my feet.  we also started working on L4/5 and L5/S innervated muscles....so all the foot flexion extension, stand on your toes etc kind of stuff.  man was my left sciatic nerve unhappy last night! 

still not sleeping great, up 3-4 times a night, better than every 20 minutes, but i'm looking forward to the day that that stops and i actually sleep through the night.....anyways, not much to report, but almost 11 months out.  can't believe it's been 11 months already, and i can't believe that i've gone from not being able to walk unaided to walking...and thinking i might jog again someday!  i also can't believe that it's taken 11 months to get this far.....seems so long.....i'm starting to get super impatient now....i want to be healed now.  get this over with.  i'm sure it will come....hopefully very very soon.....

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• o WLLady I so understand what your saying about wanting to be all healed now. and yes 11 months, wow look how far I have come, but then I look how far I have to go yet, sigh, we will get there one day, till then just keep putting one foot in front of the other..you doing grate!!

• advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427

yep one step at a time, sometimes literally isn't it?  i keep thinking about that first time i stood up after surgery and managed 2 steps and then needed help back into bed....exhausted.....and waking up in the recovery room and having the nurse ask if i could wiggle my toes and they did, just a little, but they did!  and now i'm walking fine, physio twice a week plus on my own 5 other days a week, and treadmill, and swimming, and working full time again, walking without a cane, and actually can throw a ball (okay, like about 10 feet, but i can)....helping split wood, etc etc.  yay!  it's 11 months exactly on sunday this coming weekend.  wow.  it's been a long haul.

had a flare up of sciatic pain after the last physio, likely from piriformis syndrome....PT managed to get that worked out a bit (not perfect yet) yesterday at PT.  so no new things to try this week.  just lots of walking and trying to get a little more cardio.  i actually managed to walk at almost 3mph on the treadmill yesterday, faster than i have in YEARS.  i think probably 5 years since i was able to walk on the treadmill more than 2.6mph.  i know, seems slow still....but point being, i couldn't, and now i can!  

not going to lie.  now that it's 11 months and i'm feeling like "just finish healing already" i am starting to find i'm getting a little more depressed about it all.  i think because the gains are showing less often now.  there's not as much "new" that i can do....but i gotta remember where i was.....!  just like everyone out there, remember where you were and how bad you were...and where you are now, and focus on the GOOD stuff-the stuff you can do, and have managed to overcome.  its easier said than done, but just gotta keep that in sight. 

got a good look at my scar a couple days ago, amazing how it looks, i'm thinking about a cover up tattoo of some kind for that but a little scared of a 28 inch tattoo LOL.  it looks great, it's amazing how light the scar is compared to the skin around it, and it's about 1/2 inch wide in places....i can still see the little spots where the staples were, just darker spots in the skin.  66 pairs....wow.  they have students working at the PT place for the next month, so showed them the xrays and talked about the limitations.....they have to learn about it sometime!  and i guess long fusions are rather rare, my PT clinic has dealt with 1 and 2 levels, but never anything over 2 until i showed up.  

still zapping across my hips and all into my glute muscles and up along the bottom edge of my shoulder blades the last couple days.  things waking up still.  at least now it's not painful to touch my waist!  that was something. those signals were so confused....it's starting to feel more like "touch" now.  phew.

Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

This discussion has been closed.