Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Happy to be here

My name is Martin 

LOL I messed up my username when registering so I will be Marin here

I see so many of you have such worse issues than me but hope I can gain some insight on ways that have helped you so I don't get worse

I have injured my lower and middle back and mostly my neck from driving off road for a living on very bad roads .the constant vibration and jarring have not been good . In January the roads were bad and I hit some potholes real hard for a few days and felt a tweek in my middle bak .I got worse untill February when I could no longer work .I have finally started to get alittle relief through exercise but only for a few hours a day . My pain is fairly constant in my neck about a 4 to 5 out of 10 but if I overdue it it goes up to a 7 or 8 my lower back is not as bad only a 2 or 3 going up to a 5 and my middle back seems to come and go so some days it seems fine but others are up to a 5 .My neck is the issue I hate the most it feels like someone is squeezing my spine and putting more and more preasure on as day goes on.My issue is they can't seem to say for sure what is wrong .doctors and physio say it seems like soft tissue damage but it has been 6 months wouldn't it be getting better by now there are some spurs and DDD but they are mild in my neck so they don't think they would cause that much pain. i do have some bulging disks in my lumbar and moderate narrowing but have had those for 10 years and never caused me more than minor discomfort till now .I have had exrays and CT scan done but not MRI it is booked for next May unless i can figure out how to pay for it myself then I can get one right away . the Xrays and CT were only lower back and neck not middle .I do get some temporary relief sometimes when rolling a ball or a roller on my back if it cracks sometimes it feels a little better for a while .

Seeing some of your issues on here I feel minor but glad to hear some of your insights on things that have helped you 

Thank you for having me 

and thanks for all the help in setting up my account after I messed up my pass word you helped alot in setting me up

• Phil1966PPhil1966 Posts: 533
    edited 08/05/2017 - 12:30 AM

Hi Martin

Welcome to the forum. Just a wild guess but are you an Aussie too? Just wondering because potholes in Jan and February sounds like North Queensland to me. 

A MRI would certainly help with your diagnosis. I'm lumbar spine so I don't know much about the top Half but plenty of people here do. If you were driving for work are you entitled to any workers compensation? Might help you fund your MRI.

Look forward to chatting more soon.

• LizLiz Posts: 9,032

Hello marins

Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • advertisement
  • Hi Phil no I'm from BC Canada I drive an articulating rock truck  and yes I do receive workers Compensation but for some reason they don't feel an MRI will help so they wont expedite it .I think with what they saw on the CT scan and XRAYS they don't feel an MRI will show more .They put me through a OR2 program which is active rehab stretching and exercises to strengthen and physiotherapy .I seems to have made me able to do a bit more but hasn't done much for the pain level .. However I am sleeping a bit better now for the first 5 months I was averaging 3-4 days with no sleep then get a night with 2-3 hours then no sleep again I think I got about 6-8 hours a week . caused many episodes of racing heart and dizziness and other stuff  a few trips to emergency . Now I seem to be able to get 2-4 hours a night most night but still a few with 0 . If you are dealing with work injury as well I don't know how they are down there but here they don't like to acknowledge Whole Body Vibration and jarring as contributing factors to DDD but I have found a lot of useful information on it through UK sites .Am working with my old job to upgrade their vehicles and setting up a new hours per day per person schedule to bring down exposure .It will at least help the rest of the guys who still are doing it I doubt I will be able to return now that my back injury has been this long they will probably move me to the office or something .

• Hi Martin

Probably for the best that you are not behind the wheel of a rock truck with no sleep.   Driving tired is like driving drunk and falling asleep of the wheel of one on those would be really bad. I wish I could give you advice on getting sleep but as I'm sitting here and its 2:30 am where I am it would be shallow of me to do so.  I just accept it now and nap where I can. I'm also off on a work related injury but have to accept I'll never get back to what I did before and need to look for a less physical option.  Luckily I'm fairly well educated but have never really liked the office thing.  At least I have time to think as I have just had a fusion and need six months to heal.

Glad your getting some improvement.  Take care of yourself and join in around the place.

PS Canadian and Aussie (not much difference except the accent and weather really)

• RDavidGRRDavidG Jacksonville FlPosts: 0

Welcome Martin, I hate to hear they won't expedite the MRI? When your dealing with workmans comp, it's a pain. Like Phil said, sleep is overrated lol. We sleep when we can and only advice I can give is find a comfortable mattress and pillow. Please keep us posted!

• advertisement
  • AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82

Martin, you have to wait till May of 2018 for an MRI?  Wow, my HMO insurance is a process of waiting for referrals, but never almost a year.  That is insane.  I have paid for MRI for cash here in CA and it was $350.00.  I don't know where you are cash or credit card wise, but man you need to get your quality of life back.  If you don't have your health, you don't have a life.

Then again your doctors have told you that MRI would not show more to further diagnose your spine, but it's your body and your PAIN.  I understand all of our situations are different and unique, but my doctors kept telling me for 3 months that it's just a muscle pull till I went and showed them the MRI, T8 fracture and other medical terminology telling me my back is like a 90 year old.

As far as things that helped you, you asked.  Our results are all different, so it's a matter of trying this, trying that, and whatever meds that can give you relief.  Unfortunately, sometime it works and other times it makes it worse.  Stay aggressive on finding your solution and hope you can sleep through the night someday soon. This goes for me as well.  Good luck.

• Hi thanks all  My doctor actually said MRI will probably help but Workers comp says no . If they said yes it would only be 1 or 2 weeks .he wants all 3 sections of back done here that cost is 1950 plus taxes . On the bright side trying gabapentin with my tramadol and baclofin now and actually getting an hour or 2 of sleep every night one night actually got about 3 hours wow heavengoing to check around some of the other sub forums thanks guys and gals