It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
This thread was originally created by Aneita. But to keep in running, I had to start a new thread with a new owner
My new thread walking, walking, and more walking should have encouraged more people to join and diary their walking. This thread gives you the benefits of walking, besides pleasing your doctor, and encourages you to join the walking thread for encouragement and support. Always check with your doctor before you start a walking program. I am a fat old great grandmother, not a medical professional.
1. Walking lowers your risk of blood clots. Your calfs, (those muscles that cramps up and hurt so much) acts as a venous pump, contracting and pumping blood from feet and legs to your heart. This reduces the load of pumping all that blood (especially for us overweight people) by the heart. In my opinion, it is especially benefits those of us with heart failure or other heart conditions where your doctor encourages walking. Put on those ugly compression stockings (if you got use them) and walk.
2. Improves circulation. Sitting in that comfortable recliner is great, gods knows I plant myself there as much as possible, but it doesn't help my health. Moving does. Better circulation wards off heart disease, brings up heart rate, (I have bradycardia-low heart rate), lower blood pressure, (I take medication for high blood pressure), strengthens the heart (which is a muscle), and reduces the risk of strokes (which I have had).
3. Helps stop the loss of bone mass for those with osteoporosis. How many of us have arthritis? I do. Reduces the risk of hip fractures. Something I do not ever want!
4. Lightens your mood. Walking releases natural pain killing endorphins. Who knew this? Pain killing endorphins? We should all be walking for this benefit!
5. Lowers blood sugar. This is why I am walking so much. I have Addison's disease and take prednisone and prednisone raises blood sugar and I'm diabetic. No brainier, have to walk.
6. Improves your body's response to insulin which helps reduce belly fat. Who wants belly fat? No one. Who has belly fat? Me, want mine? I have plenty, go ahead take some. Sharing is caring.
7. Improves gastric mobility. Who can't go because of opiad usage? Not me, I don't use opiads but lots on the forum do. I don't go because of other problems.
8. Strengthens muscles and bones.
9. Acts as an antidepressant, improves cognitive functioning, may decrease the onset of dementia.
10. Walking outside? Increase you intake of vitamin D, comes from the sun.
11. Lowers the risk of breast cancer. Yes, men get breast cancer. If you have breasts you can get breast cancer.
12. Increases immune function, reduces stress, increases good cholesterol (HDL), lowers bad cholesterol (LDL).
If you can walk, walk. Walk a little, then take another step. Walk a little more, take two more steps. Walk, because as my doctor said, if you don't walk you won't be able to walk. Always check with your doctor on how much you can walk.