Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Benefit to Walking

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

This thread was originally created by Aneita.  But to keep in running, I had to start a new thread with a new owner

My new thread walking, walking, and more walking should have encouraged more people to join and diary their walking.  This thread gives you the benefits of walking, besides pleasing your doctor, and encourages you to join the walking thread for encouragement and support.  Always check with your doctor before you start a walking program.  I am a fat old great grandmother, not a medical professional.

1.  Walking lowers your risk of blood clots.  Your calfs, (those muscles that cramps up and hurt so much) acts as a venous pump, contracting and pumping blood from feet and legs to your heart.  This reduces the load of pumping all that blood (especially for us overweight people) by the heart.  In my opinion, it is especially benefits those of us with heart failure or other heart conditions where your doctor encourages walking.  Put on those ugly compression stockings (if you got use them) and walk.

2.  Improves circulation.  Sitting in that comfortable recliner is great, gods knows I plant myself there as much as possible, but it doesn't help my health.  Moving does.  Better circulation wards off heart disease, brings up heart rate, (I have bradycardia-low heart rate), lower blood pressure, (I take medication for high blood pressure), strengthens the heart (which is a muscle), and reduces the risk of strokes (which I have had).

3.  Helps stop the loss of bone mass for those with osteoporosis.  How many of us have arthritis?  I do.  Reduces the risk of hip fractures.  Something I do not ever want!

4.  Lightens your mood.  Walking releases natural pain killing endorphins.  Who knew this?  Pain killing endorphins?  We should all be walking for this benefit!

5.  Lowers blood sugar.  This is why I am walking so much. I have Addison's disease and take prednisone and prednisone raises blood sugar and I'm diabetic.  No brainier, have to walk.

6.  Improves your body's response to insulin which helps reduce belly fat.  Who wants belly fat?  No one.  Who has belly fat? Me, want mine?  I have plenty, go ahead take some.  Sharing is caring.

7.  Improves gastric mobility. Who can't go because of opiad usage?  Not me, I don't use opiads but lots on the forum do.  I don't go because of other problems.

8.  Strengthens muscles and bones.

9.  Acts as an antidepressant, improves cognitive functioning, may decrease the onset of dementia.

10.  Walking outside?  Increase you intake of vitamin D, comes from the sun.

11.  Lowers the risk of breast cancer.  Yes, men get breast cancer.  If you have breasts you can get breast cancer.

12.  Increases immune function, reduces stress, increases good cholesterol (HDL), lowers bad cholesterol (LDL).

If you can walk, walk.  Walk a little, then take another step.  Walk a little more, take two more steps. Walk, because as my doctor said, if you don't walk you won't be able to walk.  Always check with your doctor on how much you can walk.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement

Comments

• AkiraAAkira Redlands, CAPosts: 82

Thanks Ron, when did you go the transgender route becoming a fat old great grandmother?  We are all good here and will not judge.  Also make sure the rest of you don't walk so much to walk off this site.  Low number pain day to you all.

Akira/Chuck
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

Chuck, thanks I needed the laugh.... Low pain day for everyone

• advertisement
  • Hi again @tkd,  @Hope3, @JanetB1968, @AJGormit. I have been advised we need to start a new thread so this is where we will continue our walking group to encourage each other and any other member who would like to join us.  Regards Meema 

• Hi Sherri, it was so good hearing from you and yes I know what you mean. My gorgeous grandbaby I saw him on Tuesday for my birthday and we are looking after him on Saturday so my daughter and her husband can go on a date. Oh to be 23 again lol. We will do our best to keep him in the routine his mumma has him in which will mean bathing him at 11am. Bugger I can't do that so Pa is a bit excited cause he will have to do it. 

I really hope you get some relief from those hands of yours. Try to take it easy and don't over do it with the walking either.  To be honest I have been a bit slack, gotta get my head in the right space. Still having issues with the leg and back pain (thought the surgery would have helped). I can go back to the gym next week so that should help me and also get some steps in.  

Hoping you are having a low pain day and we will get some other's join us.

Take care.  

Meema 

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,014

Great thread Ron, I can't say enough about the benefits of walking for me as I recover from my last fusion. With strict weight lifting limitations, no bending, lifting, twisting, walking gets me out and moving again. I'm going to get a device to monitor my distance so I have more incentive to improve.

Ranger

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

Ranger, not my thread..  I just had to get this one restarted

• Hi Ranger, just a word of advice when looking for a pedometer make sure it is a good one. I went for a good length walk the other day and had it in my pocket and the damn thing didnt register ARGH. I have heard that the Fitbit is good. May have to look at getting one of these myself.  Good luck with your walking and recovery. 

Regards Meema 

• janetb1968janetb1968 Posts: 10
    edited 08/12/2017 - 12:44 AM

Hi I'm in the walking zone I think did 3000 steps yesterday and the Fitbit ones are very good but not cheap. You can get them on Amazon but like I said not cheap.

Take care Janet B UK 

• Hi Janetb on the walking. Only a few more weeks till you see the neurosurgeon and hopefully some answers. 

Happy walking. 

Regards Meema 

• Thanks meema and u too still worried to death but putting a brave face on things thanks for ur support hope ur ok

Janet B UK 

advertisement