Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

17 days post-op and need information and support

I'm 58-year old yogini that fell into a spine pain rabbit hole. I had an injury and some pain on and off for 2 years.  After a chiropractic treatment, something happened that caused serious pain in my right leg and serious weakness (falling frequently).  I couldn't walk and lying down was even more painful. I went to the neurosurgeon where the MRI showed a bone fragment pushing on the nerve in l3-l4 and had surgery about 2 weeks later. I wanted to get a 2nd opinion out of state, (we live in a smallish town) but the pain was too intense to travel. I'm concerned I rushed into surgery and should have waited, but it's too late for this monkey mind activity.

I'm 17 days post-op and freaking out that I still have nerve pain, numbness now in both legs, better than pre-surgery but still not all better.  How many weeks til I can ascertain if I am in the 90% of those with success after minimally invasive microdiscectomy? Should I be doing some stretching to limit scar tissue formation around the nerve?  

Thanks y'all!

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,447
    edited 08/09/2017 - 4:17 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you for welcoming me to the group.  I read the info in the link and I still have questions.  Regarding the stretching exercises, when should one start to avoid the scar tissues, 2 weeks-3 weeks afters surgery? 

"Earlier mobilization after microdiscectomy back surgery may actually help patients heal sooner since patients with significant pain often have limited their motion, and an early exercise program for appropriate stretching, strengthening and conditioning may help work out the secondary soft tissue component of their back pain and/or leg pain."

thank you!!

• advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 739

Welcome!

17 days is very early on your post op healing process. Follow your pt's advice on pt. 

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,180

Yes, 17 days is very early. The nerves are waking up from being compressed and this can take weeks. It takes patience and ice packs, that can help too.
    As far as exercise I agree, follow you doctor's orders as well as PT.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
advertisement