Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF worries

Well last post just went into cyberspace!

I am having a two level ACDF on Friday for severe herniation and cord compression at c5-6/6-7, I am so terrified it seems beyond reasonable. I have an issue with jewelry with breaking out, redness, burning. The Ortho Surgeon could not find anyone to do testing. I finally said let's just go ahead as I am declining rapidly. I wobble when I walk, I have to get up carefully, getting to where I can't drive. Both shoulders are failing me, the Bone Dr. says that it is frozen shoulder related to the myleopathy. 

My Ortho Surgeon said he uses titanium, his bio page says he uses tantalum, trabecular metal by Zimmer (spacers, and I'm not clear if it's a titanium plate or not). I could not get an answer out of his staff. I go tomorrow for pre-op stuff, I'm going to ask again. I've googled myself cross-eyed. Is this the same as titanium? Has anyone had surgery with this trabecular metal, if so how are you doing? Does it matter which metal they use? What are the odds of having a reaction? 

I don't want further issues, I don't want this surgery, my family is pushing at me, but it appears to be seriously medically necessary. I have auto-immune dysfunction as it is. I just hope this doesn't add to my issues.

advertisement

Comments

• RDavidGRRDavidG Jacksonville FlPosts: 0

Buttons, explain your concerns to the staff prior to your surgery! They should know or find out for you.

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,366

hi buttons!

welcome to spine-health

on research, i found that trabecular metal is 80% pourous enhancing the potential for bone in growth and soft tissue vascularization. talk to him about this before surgery. if nothing else, write questions down so you don't forget.
    good luck on friday. when you feel like it please post your progress after surgery.

please click on the welcome link below for more information.

welcome to spine health

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement