Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Specific discussion on L5-S1 disc degeneration

Hi all, I'd like to start a discussion for ways to manage tightness in lower back, but please just specific to disc degeneration between L5 and S1. For me, it does not cause pain so much but more like tightness that limits flexibility. I am an active and healthy 55 year old man, weight about 200 lbs, 6'1" tall. I do not have pain down my legs. 

Small movements like reaching down to pick something up is a chore. I have gotten good at hoisting things up with my toes!

I have tried all kinds of PT and exercise, nothing seems to help. I'd like to try an inversion table. Anyone have experience with one of those?

I could also use to lose 10 lbs, I have not done that but want to. I thought a reduction in weight might help. Anyone with similar situation? Thanks for your comments! 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Yorktown,

L5S1 is where most of my problem lies. At that level and at the SI joint. I'm an inch taller than you and 40 lbs heavier, but I'm also pretty muscular - the best word to describe me is dense. 

My problems started out like yours and over the course of about three years I went from 232 to 252 down to 242 now. I think some of my problem is weight related, but my docs also tell me my discs are wearing about and there are arthritic changes happening, including bone spurs. I've had my share of injections and minor procedures, along with lots of pain meds and PT to keep things at bay. 

I dont even know what an inversion table is, so I cant help you there. I'm not a candidate for surgery, so for the near future it will basically be maintenance (PT, injections and meds) along with swimming and massage, and a better diet. 

Have you worked out a plan with your doctors yet, to stay on top of problems?

• Bumping this one, only one view! calling all L5 S1folks. thanks for any comments!

• advertisement
  • hi yorktown

welcome to spine-health

this site is full of information and members with lots of experience in different areas.

i have added two links below to help you get started while you wait for more replies.

there are many discussions started on this forum daily so there is also lots of information being added for you to read and join in other discussions as well.

welcome to spine health

aj

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Hi Yorktown, I have been dealing with l5 S1 problems for the past 4 years, I'm not overweight and I try to be as active as possible, although that has been very difficult for the last while, I tried an inversion table for a bit, but ended up giving it away because I got dizzy within a few minutes after getting on it! But it definitely did what it's supposed to do, it allowed my spine to decompress, so if it doesn't turn your stomach, it should be fine for you.

• RickallenRRickallen MichiganPosts: 91

Hi im 58 and gained 40 lb sens surgery in dec on my l4 l5 and s1 had to go back in a second time around and have bone and spures removed.so I understand the bending and lefting.I have learned bending with your knees and going down almost to the foor helps.keeping your back straight is the best you can do.get your self a reacher for helping with craping things if that helps I have one.just dont like useing it while out in the puplick.Good luck and take care.

• advertisement
advertisement