Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniated disc at C5, Shoulder, head, back pains, help!

advertisement

Comments

• SweetyG,

What kind of surgery did you have? My Doctor is
    reccomending that I have Anterior Cervical Discectomy
    which involves removing a portion of the bone and replacing it with bone from the bone bank because I have a Herniated Disk which is pushing up against the Vertibrae causeing numbness and weakness in my arm and neck. I've only seen a lot of negatives on this surgery so I'm kinda worried about having it.

Ginger
  • Wow, this was very useful. I'll definitely ask the neuro to set me up for traction and possibly a tens machine, and anything else aside from meds that he can think of that would work. I do find warm water in the shower helps a bit shortly afterwards.

Sitting is the worst. Even with a proper back supporting chair, I can still get back and neck pain. Laying down on heating pad or a u shaped foam pillow with ice pack insert helps most. But of course it mainly only helps when I am using it. I just really have to figure this stuff out or I'm gonna go insane.
  • advertisement
  • Did the posture pump help? I got the pronex also and your right it hurts my ears. what about the saunders? We both have the same mindstate because the High Grade Marijuana also helped me more then anything ese including meds so far.
  • I got the Pronex and your right it hurts my ear. The high grade marijuana is the best treatment I tried yet. What pillow did you get? I just got the large thick queen size temp pillow for xmas but I hope its not to thick and maybee I should have got the medium size. What kind of heating pad do you have. Did you ge the saunders traction?
  • Hi Butterfly,

I know exactly how you feel. My MRI results showed that I have a herniated disc C4-C5 of which C5 is severe. My pain is very bad at night. I make sure that the pillows I sleep on are not flat. The best position for me is sleeping elevated on my back. For some reason, this relieves the pressureand sharp pain coming from my neck and shooti down my right arm.

As far as medication, when the pain comes, the only prescription that helps me is percoset. I hate to take pills, but sometimes in order to sleep pain free, it helps.

Using medication like this should be a last resort.

I have been seeing a Chiropractor and have had a few sessions of acupunture. The chiropractor has helped out a lot especially when my neck is stretched in the machine. It relieves the pressure.

Hope you feel better and any information I receive that is relevant to your situation, I will let you know.
  • advertisement
  • i really like taking glucosamine, chondrointin and msm all in one, i had a powder mix with 2000mg, 1500, and 500mg of the supplements it worked really well for me along with some light exercise. i just got some discount vitamins and other herbs online to take daily.
  • I hear ultrasound tens or articare may help. And a massage cushion. I hope you're feeling better.Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • First off I just want to say I feel for you tremendously! I am 21 years old and have just had a back fusion almost two months ago on my L-5, S-1. Plus my L-4 is also bugling but my doctor wanted to leave that one alone.
    The best advice I can give to you for the tingling, burning, numbness, is to ask your doctor about a medicine called Lyrica. I myself take this. The dosage comes at 75mg but I take it three times a day to help with all those complications that my nerves have caused me. And believe me, it has been a life-saver!

Just from the past year and a half from dealing with my back problems, there's not much you can do to help with the pain. Little things like taking a hot bath before bed helps, sleeping with a pillow between your legs and also underneath when lieing on your back. Oh and never sleep on your stomach, that is a big No, No for sure! But most of all that I have learned from all the doctors I have seen, physical therapy is the best treatment for pain. Strengthing your back and stomach muscles will help support your back in the best way possible. Getting a back brace helps too. Back pain is a very hard thing to deal with. Just know if it starts to affect your way of life in a negative aspect, then do something about it, even if it boils down to surgery. Nobody ever wants to go there and I never did but it was the best thing for me. I'm slowly seeing great results and I'm young for having a back fusion. Most doctors don't like doing it, but nobody should have to suffer so much. If you have any questions or need to ask any other advice on what I did to help myself, feel free to ask.
  • I've been in pain since 2004. Taking meds,physical thearapy, epidirial injections,tens unit,traction unit. Now in a wellness program. But the pain still there today is one of my bad days hurting bad just took meds.
  • i have had a neck operation on c5 and c6 after numbness in my fingers and shocks down my arms, the trouble is that now the disc below the plate in my neck is inoperable and the pain i get is unberable, i take tramadol but thats all, i get pain from sleeping and get how i describe as electric shocks up both sides of my neck especially during the hotter weather. I tend to drag me right leg in the colder months and have really cold feet as well. The pain accross my sholders is unbearable and it gets worse when im in the garden (Which is my passion) i suffer with the pain and dont complain but i dont know how much more i can take..im only 52 and i have been very active up till the last 2 years so i am losing the will to want to walk and take the dog out to the park, if im like this now what does the future hold in the way of pain????
advertisement