Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Why am I still in pain 8 months later?

Hello all...I had a c1/c2 fusion in Jan 17 and have been in pain ever since. Still getting 'snap, crackle and pop' episodes!! Muscle tension on one side ( after soft tissue massage, pain increased and movement decreased!). Taking 50mg pregab and paracetamol for pain....daily physio not helping...what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your time

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,654

Hello VodkaRocks 

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on

Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,069

Liz is correct. But my question is, have you discussed this with your doctor? He will be the only one to answer your questions.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Vodka Rocks, agree with above but for what it's worth I'm still in pain 3 years post Surgery. Surgeon advised just get used to it! 

• Vodka Rocks,

My 4-level surgery was in January 2017 and I am 8 months post op today!  I am about 90% with my neck and about 80% with my frozen shoulder I developed after my surgery.  The surgery itself was not too bad, but I was never told until later that it could take up to a year or longer for nerves to calm down and to feel more like yourself again.  I am so much better than I was, and I hope to be somewhat normal again soon, but this has been a very slow recovery!  Try acupuncture and massage for those nasty muscles and keep walking to build your inner core.  If things don't get better in a few months, perhaps you should see your doctor to be sure you are fusing.  That is my plan!  Best of Luck to you, and stay positive! Everyone does heal differently, and some are feeling back to normal within a shorter period of time depending how big their surgery is, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong if your taking a little longer. :)  Please take comfort in knowing you are not alone!!

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

VodkaRocks

You may want to read my story at bruce-my-story as I had similar questions.

As AbigailsGM points out, it can take some time for the nerves to heal and calm down.  For me, it also turned out that I had one more disk that needed to be fused.  Then it took about a year after my second surgery for most of the pain to go away.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 632

Hi Andrew  Mike here from Michigan I have a C1C 2 fusion also it's going on 4 years for me,

I still have pain I take  20 mg oxycodone twice daily and three Norco 10/325  a day .

Your body will change over the next four years .  My neck was due to a falling accident I can still walk 

But I have problems with muscle tightness all I can say is try to stay off the opiates  Drop me a note back 

God bless 

• Thanks for all your comments....in a twisted way, it is good to know that I'm not alone!! Decided to go 'cold turkey' and stop taking any drugs for pain (concerned about long term affects to liver etc), this was a huge mistake! Guess I'm just fed up feeling miserable all the time, thought it was the drugs but constant nagging pain is tiring. Wish you all the very best and speedy recoveries...one day at a time as they say..(though 'they' never got sliced and pinned!!)

• @VodkaRocks what kind of pain are you experiencing? Remember, fusion surgery really only helps with pain associated to radiculopathy. 

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 632

Andrew I sent you a personal message it's in your inbox 

• Jillybean079

I can't imagine fusion only helping with pain for radiculopathy!  I did not have radiculopathy and I had a 4-level fusion for DDD and a bulging disc, some bone spurs etc.  I am 8+ months out and my neck pain is gone, and have been told I am fused.  I am dealing with muscle spasms still, and I think part due to a frozen shoulder and continued PT.  Are you saying that we are all going to have pain forever?  I know about eight different people who have had cervical fusion, and most are doing well without much pain.  I was hoping there was a chance to be fairly normal again one day!

advertisement