Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Radio frequency ablation c4-c7 anyone???

okay looking for anything...

So it feels like I am carrying around a 500lb elephant on my head simple tasks just aren't that simple. With 4 little ones (4,6,8,14) everything seems to be modified with my awesome helpers. But simple things like cooking, laundry, doing dishes, require so much. Brushing my teeth requires holding my head up. Breaks lots of them. 

The docs have suggested radio frequency ablation for C4-C7. Reading about more in Dept and possible complications especially for the neck can be a little scary... does anyone have any good questions that I can ask the doctors when I go in? I am more so nervous for the more pain problems if they don't get the nerve all the way, also the fact that this may not last as long due to my age 36yo.  Which may be good and bad. Also can this help with the glove numbness and tingling in my arms? Has or does any one have any of these same symptoms and or any past experience just looking for anyone who may be able to relate as I'm pretty concerned about this being in the cervical region not back or lumbar regions... admins any past experience please anyone... thanks so much in advance... just want to be normal again and still optimistic to try to get there now that the kids started school going to try meditation to try to get all systems working to gether as well there has to be something more than this is just something to live with and the gabapentin at 400mg (1300mg total a day) and cymbalta 30mg leaves me in a fog for a few hours each morning upon taking... I just can't settle for this accident taking over my body

advertisement

Comments

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745

For me, ablations have been a gift from heaven. Have had many from top to bottom. And I do need bottom. They helped me a lot. Just had a nerve block on T1/T3 bilateral 2 weeks ago. I got 80% relief. Will tell my PM my results in 2 weeks and we'll do the ablations in the same location. Can't wait for the ablations. Just hating the pain right now. 

• I am having cervical ablations on Monday.  Not sure what to expect.

• advertisement
  • I've had multiple cervical RFA procedures covering C2-C7 bilaterally.  I'll be having my 5th procedure done some time in October.  If your medial branch blocks gave you relief, there is a strong likelihood that the RFA will be beneficial.  Relatively speaking, this procedure is very safe. 

• I had a C5 to C7 RFA done 16 months ago, don't recall if 1 or both sides were done. But it worked almost immediately. Like night and day for my neck pain. Like millem23 says, there may be some prior procedures they have to try first. Required in some insurance plans.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • I still have tingling in my hands now and then, if I'm driving a long time. But not as bad as it was.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for comments and suggestions.

•  I had bilateral RFA done for C4-C7 a little over a month ago, one side at a time. One side is worse than the other. The nerve pain calmed down but my neck was sore for around 3 weeks. I can't explain why the nerve pain on that side came raging back, along with the headaches and facial pain/numbness. I read online that motor nerve damage can occur if the nearby nerves are accidently targeted. There are 2 types of RFA: continuous and pulsed. The latter is supposed to have less risk of damaging adjacent nerves and reduction in recovery time. I had the opposite side done 2 weeks ago and my neck is still very tender. This was my first experience so far with cervical rfa after having it done a few times on my lumbar spine. Ice pack is your best friend when you are recovering. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • I had RFA C3-C7 on both sides on Monday.  I left the hospital crying in pain.  I have never left crying and have had more severe surgeries (2 ACDF's, etc) .  The pain is better but now I have the awful burning and it is going down my arm.  My dr had warned me that some people get what feels like a sunburn under the skin.  Well I guess I am one of the unlucky ones.  I expected it to be on my neck/back but never on my arms.  And nothing seems to help.  Anyone have advice???

advertisement