Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ACDF and Range of Motion

For cervical stenosis that has given me symptoms for several years now (primarily pain in the neck and shoulder and pain and numbness in both hands), my surgeon recommends ACDF at three intervals, C 4/5, C 5/6, and C6/7.  He says my reduction of range of motion will be minimal, 5% at most. I've read studies that put it more at 35%. I do a lot of driving, and this would be a real concern.  I'd love to hear from post-ACDF people about their experience of ROM in their necks, especially those who had the repair at three intervals.  Many thanks.

advertisement

Comments

• ACDF on c5c6. about 80-85 percent to left and 40 percent to right.

• Thank you, superdecooper. That is a very big loss of ROM, How long ago did you have ACDF surgery?

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,584

ACDF  C4/C5 1994, ACDF C5/C6/C7 2000

Loss of Range of motion  

Left    12%
    Right    5%

Up      11%
    Down  14%

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hi pagross

I had the ACDF on c5c6 in 2004. I can turn my head about 80-85 percent to left and 40 percent to right. 

So I still have most of the ROM to the left and less than half to the right.

• good to hear!

• advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745

Range of motion is less but I can drive fine. 

advertisement