Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

I don't know where to turn

I am having horrible issues with my L5 down into the S1, I have always had some pain and once in a great while some serious pain. I am about to turn 35 I have 5 kids youngest of them 15 months. I am a single mother so I am desperate at this point. I went to the ER after waking up and being unable to move from the waist down without so much pain it brought tears right away (3 of my children born naturally without pain medication. 

I couldn't put pressure on my feet unsupported by my bed, so I made it around the front of footboard only to lose control of my bladder I didn't know that I needed to go that bad one minute I didn't have to go the next there was no holding it. I went right there where I stood hunched over crying cleaned myself up and crawled back into bed. I had to call off work that morning I couldn't get out of bed. I had to call for help with the baby because I couldn't pick her up.

Anyway, I went to the ER and sat and stood for 5 hours before being checked in and brought to a bed. I was in excruciating pain, tears falling and still trying to not pester the nurses or Doctor until they were ready to see me. I sat for another hour changing positions in the bed sitting and standing and walking. Until I was in so much pain I had an anxiety attack and started to panic and cry uncontrollably.

That is when I hit the call button ( I hadn't even met my nurse yet let alone a Doctor it took the call button to get the nurse in the room) He asked what pain meds I take at home I said aleve or IB Profin since I don't and won't take narcotic painkillers.  

He said he was going to get the Doctor to see me, another 45 minutes passed before I eventually walked out AMA because I couldn't sit there anymore. 

I followed up with my PCP who then ordered a STAT MRI... which no one could perform until Saturday, 5 days later. SO they send me back to the same ER for the MRI... this time it only took about 2  hours. because I told them what had happened the night before....

it has been about 3 weeks since then I was feeling better woke up this morning even worse now it hurts to the touch and I am just at my wits end they said my compression wasn't as bad as they thought I never really got a good read of the MRI I tried to reschedule my PCP appointment and they rescheduled several times.

Finally, I had to tell them I needed to find a new doctor since no one seemed to be concerned with my care. I can't stand being treated like a med seeker I just want to know what is wrong. I think they are either afraid I want pain meds or don't want to be bothered because they can't give them to me. 

I am sitting here in tears praying my daughter sleeps long and well.. I just can't be the mother 

It hurts to put my chin on my chest in my lower spine straight through my tailbone
it hurts to dorsi-flex my foot pulling my toes towards my shines 
It hurts to bend passed 45 degrees
It hurts to lift my legs 
It hurts for me to put pressure on my legs
It hurts to the touch which is new

I just can't

Someone give me some advice please a type of Doctor to call what you have done in the past 

I know something is wrong, that feeling of knowing something is wrong and the doctors can't or wont see it... or it is hiding I am just lost

advertisement

Comments

• hi meganpost2102

welcome to spine-health

what an awful things to experience, especially with 4 children and a very young baby to lift and carry around.

it was good to read that they managed to do a mri eventually but your pain and loss of bladder does not add up to the results you have been given.  i think you are clearly somebody that can cope with severe pain - childbirth with no pain relief!!!  i thought i did well on just gas and air :-).

if you didn't report the loss of bladder to your medical team then please make sure they are aware of that, because if that is connected to your back it is classed as a medical emergency in that capacity.

i have added two links below to help new members with information on this very informative site.  there is lots of material to research that will help give you the power of knowledge.

please keep us updated and keep pushing with your medical team if your pain is still severe

welcome to spine health

aj

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017