Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

6 weeks out L4/L5 Fusion

good morning. I had my fusion 6 weeks ago on August 29, 2017. Is it “normal” to be in more pain now than a few weeks after surgery?  I had numbness on the top of my right foot for about 5 weeks after surgery. It’s not numb any more, and I’m having severe sciatic pain now. Also my spine/hips/butt feels more sore and painful. 

I am meeting with the surgeon today for my 6 week follow up so of course I’ll go to him for the medical advice, but i mostly wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else. I’m supposed to go back to work Tuesday and I hope I don’t have to. I thought I’d feel better by now. I thought I’d have ANY improvement from before surgery. It’s so discouraging. 

advertisement

Comments

• Hi violetangel613

Sorry you are struggling and hope your surgeon is able to help with some answers.

I have found I have different pains everyday, some days the numb is numb and some days its hot and some days I have shooting fire ants making me leap around (if only!).  I have made two people jump from fright when I have been around people.  The nerves just do not like the interference of surgery and being released.

Are you on any meds for nerve pain?  If not maybe that will have to be something to address until they settle down.

Tell your surgeon you do not feel able to go back to work as yet and get his advice on that as well.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

AJ

AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • You will feel different sensations for a while.  Nerves are decompressing and regenerating, it takes a long time.  You will feel better at 6,9,and 12 months. You will probably know what you're going to live with after about that year.  Good luck. 

CT
  • advertisement
  • First off Violet, 

I am very sorry to hear that you’re not feeling that you are where you want to be at the six week mark. I don’t have any advice for you here, because I just decided today to have an L4 L5 spinal fusion myself. 

After reading your post and responses I am a bit concerned. I Hope that you find solutions and I look forward to hearing what your doctor says about your six week check up.

Bamendola