Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New Here

I have posted a couple of times and it was recommended to introduce myself.  I am 59 years old and have a 4 curve scoliosis, Lower lumber 46 and upper 20.  I was extremely active when I was young and now I am SO limited it is depressing.  My ortho dr said NO SURGERY EVER.  He was pretty nonchalant about it too.  I'll probably go see another dr at some point, but not ready for surgery yet.  My daughter will be getting married in the next year so postphoning anything invasive at all.

I worked out with weights all my life, ran, jumped rope, hiked and enjoyed working in the yard.  Now no more of these things, but seeing what others have been thru on this forum makes me feel fortunate.  I do know and learning more about specialized Scroth PT and pilates from an instructor who specializes in scoliosis.  She is actually an expert on the subject and teaching workshops in America and overseas.  Really thankful I found her thru numerous youtube videos.  Also Scroth after much research.  Not too many PT's in the country that have this specialization, but there is a website that will tell you if you have one nearby.  I was blessed to find one in my city.

So, reading all the posts have helped me.  I know now that surgery could be a possibility although it would take 2-3 years to heal and nerve pain could be equally painful.  (My friend's mother had it and she said everything was worse - so not encouraging at all.

Also, pain relievers don't do anything.  My ortho doc rx some tramadol which didn't touch it.  I have migraines too and had access to hydrocodone.  When I was in Seattle last year to see my daughter, I took (chewed) 2 hydrocodone tabs and nothing  (all I was doing was standing in a bar sitting on a bar stool when I could find one - no back chairs are terrible.  Now when I go to a restaurant or anywhere really, I take my lumbar pillow (has my name and phone number on it - I almost wanted to post REWARD to give incentive to get it back to me - haha!  I don't recall who manufactures this pillow as I got it 20 years ago from a quack chiropractor.  Ive ordered a few thru amazon, but they don't work as well.  I have also tried shoe lifts and really can't say yah or nay on them.

Well, happy to be here and thanks for the warm welcome!

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,468

scoliogirl
    Welcome to Spine-Health

I am so glad you started your own discussion. This can be a way to start your own journal, as WLLady and others have.
    Scoliosis hit me a few years ago, I'm 69. I have never gotten my cob angels but will in a few weeks. 
    Before I got my pain pump in Jan., I had a neurosurgeon tell me he could fix me. But with my medical history and not being in good heath we declined.
    If you haven't, read WLLady's thread, My Scoliosis. It's an amazing story of recovery from surgery.

While you are waiting on other members to reply, please click on the Welcome link below.
    Welcome to Spine Health

Take care and keep us posted.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Thanks!  I've tried reading all of WLLady's threads but its like a book and you gotta have loads of time to read it.  Appreciate all comments.  I believe I may not be a candidate for surgery either bc of osteoporsis and health conditions.  I'll read the tutorial.  Thanks!

• advertisement
  • hi scoliogirl,

thank you for sharing your story. my org curve was 32, I entered the military at 17 with it. I ran did all kinds of sports, weight lifting you name it.  my curve did move up to 46 in my 40's to early 50s. at 46  degrees my surgon did not want to touch it, also cuz I was sooo active. my body tried to compensate for the curve and 2 bone spres grew in my neck. by fixing that, they drilled them out after removeing the disk then a metal plate with 6 screws. at first I was told this would stabilize my back but the opisit happened. my curve started to move again, this time I developed a second cure also so lumbar now 60 and t was at 22 and the age of 58 had the big surgrey.

but before the big surg, I was doing yoga and running just up to 3 yrs before. so I think your on the right path. I am still recovering from that surg. and now from a second, I had a screew stinking out and it was driving me crazy so we remeved it. that is still a painful surg cuz the bone is damaged after screw removle and the muscle is cut again.

befor my surg, I hated all the pain meds. I had tried the gavapentin , a nerve pain med but it messed my head up so bad. I felt stone 24/7. I stopped taking the drug..said I wanted to live not just exsist. I knew the surgrey had big risk with it, but I felt I had one of the best surgon to take the leap. I struggled so bad trying to decied if I should have the surgrey or not. I all most cnl it a week before. in my case I was left with some nerve damage. it is hard to say how much cuz I am only 10 months out, and they say 1 to 2 yrs for complet healing.

my surgon has wonderful rep for doing surgery, but not a good rep for being a talker, not one to explain stuff and I am the kind of person that wants to know and understand everything. WWLady has helped me there. from what I have heard from so many folks is its 50/50 your better off and have worst pain after. you do need to shop for a doctor. you need to feel comfy with him/her, that they keep you informed plus that you feel they are a good surgon. keep rechearching and asking question.

have you tried the pain injections yet..i got a lot help relef from them..for yrs went pain free for months at a time. they just stopped working as my curve hit 60. ok now I am rambling..good luck thanks again for sharing..keep posting

• Thanks so much xrobynx - your information is so helpful.  The ortho said curve would increase 1 percent per year( it looks like most of you had a more rapid progression.  Scroth PT goal is to stop progression and aleviate some pain.  I tried gabapentin as well, but it didn't help, just like pain meds.  I haven't done pain injections yet, so that might be a possibility.

50/50 is is tough - hard decision.  And more pain after is even worse.  

I think this question is from another discussion - but, what exercises are you able to do for legs and back?  Are you walking again and what is your pain level now (1-10).  Thanks!

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,324

Hi scoliogirl!

glad you joined us with your own topic :-) yes, my story is long, tiring and a heavy read. LOL.  they finally got me to divide it in 2....ha ha.

i hope the PT works for you!  I never really had the chance to try anything like that, since when they found my scoliosis i had to do something about it since it was 69 degrees.  i hope it helps you!!!!  anything you need to ask, please do, we are here to help.  This forum has been a huge help to me, and i hope now i can return that and help you as well :-)

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
  • I did some pt was was released before I was even fussed. so I walked for months, upt to over 3 miles a day. now at first I used a walker in the hospital and rehab hospital. I could onlu drag my left leg at first, when I was sent home walker was too hard in my house so I used a cain. on june 14th, 6 months post surg...I tossed that cain. I do walk diff, got a stange kind of gate with very slight limp. but it just keeps getting better o so slowwwwwly. now I go to the gym and I do different machins for upper lower back arms legs ect. just abbsolutey no twisting. some machines are better then others, need to look at if they add pressure to spine and where, its very complicated and I used a trainer for one sesstion to have help. we can discuse this in more detail if ya want. pain right now is higher cuz I just had surg again to remove a screw and pice of rod at the top, it was sticking out and cuaseing problems. so let me answer the pain question in a few weeks after I get back into the gym.

• Hi Scoliogirl!!

I am 4 months out from scoliosis surgery. 54 years old. I also was active my whole life. The thought of never being able to ski again or jump off a rock into a lake makes me sad. BUT I am glad I had the surgery. I have not had the challenges of xrobynx (which I’m really sorry about) and so far I’m healing well. I had scoliosis since I was young and the curves were just large enough to worsen in middle age. I have a ton of muscle spasms and new pain, but absolutely nothing like before surgery. Norco helped me then and Percocet and Valium after. Nice to meet you!

Noreen

advertisement