Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back to work - desk job at home

I'm 6 weeks post op a minimally invasive discectomy on my L4-L5 herniated disc. Sitting for long periods of time gives me a sharp tailbone pain when I go to stand up from seated position. I work a desk job that allows me to work from home 3 days a week, but I must go in the office at least once a week. I also work 4 ten hour shifts. I go back to work in a little over a week. I'm very nervous about sitting for such a long period of time. I know I can get up whenever I feel the need to stretch and walk around but I worry that I will get so focused on my work that I will forget sometimes.

At home I plan on trying to stand and work with a raised desk. I also have a reclining sofa I can sit in, or I can work in my bed. Obviously my bed would be the easiest on my body but I don't know if it's healthy to be laying in bed all day.

I did buy a lumbar roll to place on my back when in seated position.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions that may help with this sort of issue?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Gabriellax92

You are doing well to be moving on to long shifts like that.  If you do not feel ready to achieve these long shifts, request shorter shifts or ask your doctor to advise your employer on how long you should sit for or lengths of shifts.  In the UK with have something call a fit for work note on which the doctor can specify certain restrictions.  If the employer does not allow for these restrictions or recommendations, the fit for work note turns into a a sick note.  This protects the employee if the employer is not willing to support the illness/condition.

On the subject of seating.  During one of my physio session after my first surgery, we were shown an air filled rubber seat cushion, that allows the spine space for movement, rather than being on a hard chair.  There are also ergonomic cushions with open space the coccyx area.  There is many items available on some of the big internet company.  Best practice for you would be regular standing.  Also make sure your desk height and chair height are correct if you add any cushions to your chair.  Your company should have the measurement for that.  If not I am sure you could research and find something on the internet to help you.

Hope some of my experiences help.

Take care and keep walking at any opportunity throughout your working day

AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168

There are plenty of free PC/Apple alarm clock packages.   You set it to go off every XX  (55 minutes is a good number) so that will basically force you to get up.

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement