Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

HOPE!

How many times I visited this forum during my recovery! I am now 2 years out from anterior/posterior lumbar fusion surgery (L5 S1) for spondylothesis.  I spent over a year bouncing around between doctors with right leg pain that was misdiagnosed as a hamstring injury.  When I finally got in front of the right doctor, I had sciatic (L5) damage.  My recovery was long, I was frustrated, became depressed, and lost hope of ever getting back to my active lifestyle.  To everyone going through a similar, long recovery , have hope.  Measure your improvements in months, not days or weeks.  It was slow for me and often times I found myself back to 'square' one.  It is important to have support.  Leg pain does improve but it takes a long time.  I was referred to a Neurosurgeon for a spinal cord stim.  I seriously considered it after over a year of leg pain post op, unable to sit, drive, or walk for any significant distance.  It sounded like a great option and a chance at a better quality of life.  Tried Neurotin, Lyrica which did not help at all and were tough to get off of.  I decided to wait, and agreed to try Elavil(10 mg) as a last resort.  After about 4 months (yep, that long) I started to see some improvement.  It was slow, but very slowly it started to be more manageable.  Still on the Elavil , no side effects, helps me get a restful nights sleep ( very important) and I feel it does calm this nerve down.  Things that did help in my recovery: Walking, physically therapy tailored to me! ( sometimes I could not do 5 leg lifts , so holding my leg in an isometric exercise had to substitute) , be flexible, have hope ( you will be improved, know this !) and pray.  Stay off of this forum!! I am 50, back to the gym 3x wk, walk every day.  Sure I do have an occasional bad day, but the good days are more than the bad days.  And still pray! 

advertisement