Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What does the battery site feel like once it heals?

I had a Boston unit implanted Dec 30, 2016. It was great for the first two weeks then I started asking people, "Does this look infected?". Everyone, including the surgeon, said it looked great and was healing fine. February 1st I stumbled into the hospital at 4am with a 105 temperature and they eventually did an ultrasound that discovered a huge abscess around the IPG site. Cue emergency surgery and a week in ICU battling sepsis from staph (thank God, not MRSA) and two weeks on IV antibiotics even after I was released. They waited a few months for me to heal then tried again on August 2nd, 2017 with the same Boston Scientific unit. I've gotten good relief from the stimulation but had problems with the incision. I think they removed the staples too soon and it's taken 3 months to close completely. 

The wound has finally healed but I noticed today that the battery seems to have moved right up to the surface of my skin where I can clearly feel the shape of it. It's painful and tender and makes me nauseous to press on it and wiggle it around. Since the incision was still healing I've kept it bandaged (per doctor's orders) until the last week when the scab finally went away, so this is the first time I've really explored the area. Is this how it feels for everyone else? I expected it would be buried deeper and I wouldn't be able to so easily tell it was there. Now I'm worried about someone casually patting me on the back or hurting me with a hug :(

advertisement

Comments

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 739

I am not a doctor but I would not press on it or wiggle it. I did neither with mine and I do not worry about hugs. They would not hurt me in the least. Pressing and wiggling it will not let it heal correctly or possibly ever. 

• My battery is implanted in my upper buttock. I think rechargeable units are only placed 1 to 2 cm below the skin. I'm thin, so my battery is visible. It's not noticeable through my clothes, but I'm a swimmer and you can see it through a jammer swimsuit.

The patient info typically says to avoid manipulating or rubbing the system through your skin. I'm not too worried about other people patting or rubbing my butt. If they know me well enough to do that then they know I have a battery implanted there :)

My biggest concern is door knobs, which are at the perfect height for my battery - ouch!

• advertisement