Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Revision of Hardware C4 thru C7 Anterior & Posterior CDF Surgery- anyone else had this surgery

Comments

• joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 308

Teresa, 

I had my next visit after doing myofacial therapy and he said surgery is only thing to do and that he will fuse 3 thru 6 which I am not happy with hearing and still do not feel confident. Also he told me that it would only mean 10 days off work and I'm like what the hell I was off 12 wks with my acdf and it was awful going back then much less after having posterior. I have to wait until spring to have it anyway due  a work situation so I will have plenty of time to think and research.

Got in pain mgt though and he is going to do some injections where no one has tried and do some trigger point which also no one tried and then do some facet joint injections which again no one tried so maybe I can avoid surgery for a long while. Can't wait to hear your pre op update...

Julie

• Well my revision is off for December 13th due to BCBS  denial(secondary insurance) thr WEEK BEFORE surgery. My neurosurgeon has send in a urgent appeal that BCBS has 30 days to review. Crazy but hear they deny based on CPT codes and medical imaging REPORTS not review of SCREW PLACED IN WRONG PLACE BY PRIOR DOCTOR. 

One top of this not so wonderful  news I will be terminated from my job after 28+ years 2 days before Christmas bc i havent been able to return since July bc of severe pain, radicocopathy issues and inability to turn my neck. Of course my termination I loose my primary insurance which approved surgery at a out of network hosptial.

I just give up. Finally a huge part of my severe pain problem has been found and someone sitting behind a desk has made a decision based on a code to deny any sense of hope and pain relief. Living in pain from a surgeon's error, life altering to say the least now two very depressing blows in one week.

Feeling loss of all hope :( 

Teresa
  • advertisement
  • joowee40joowee40 Mississippi Posts: 308

Oh no Teresa! I don't know what to say other than I am so sorry!. Appeal the insurance denial! Can you go on long term disability with your company?

• I have completed my appeal letter and waiting for my neurosurgeon to submit his appeal. Not looking forward to the painful surgery but now i feel like I am at a dead end road with unbearable pain forever. 

My doc has told me denials are the normal now with all revisions, somehow the fact that there was a surgical error and there is a screw in the wrong place was overlooked. If my 1st insurance would pay more i would go ahead with just my primary but they only pay 25% bc hospital is a speciality hospital and out of network. My secondary denial was a shocker bc in 27 plus years i have had blue cross federal we have nevery had services denied. The reason for denial is "no clinical documentation or research to prove the surgery will improve my condition" So neurosurgeon professional judgement isnt considered. The kicker is they denied 7 days before surgery date but had the surgery request dor precert for a month.

Human resources held my job for 6 months 12 weeks longer than they had to. I applied for social security disability but KNOW THAT WILL BE A LONG ROAD TO GET APPROVED. Just taking things ONE DAY AT A TIME- my only option at this point.

:'(

Teresa
  • Psuedoarthrosis means “false joint”. It’s the part of the fusion that failed.its normally found on MRIs and confirmed by CT where it will show lucency on the end plates of the plates where it should show solid. Most surgeons won’t mess with them until your hardware starts failing ie..loose screws or if symptoms become severe.3 years post C-5 through C-7 which failed ( Psuedoarthrosis) hardware still intact at last check but starting to suspect after this cold ! Lol

DavidG

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

• advertisement
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rll54

Oh no, thats TERRIBLE, did you get a second opinion? So sorry you are dealing with pain again. Those who have painful health conditions are suffering due to others misuse of pain medications. As you already know the medicines dont take all the pain away, just give the ability to function and get thru each day. Wow I  had no idea that it takes that long to get Medicare :(  

I have applied for social security disability but hear this is a long drawn out process that can take years.  Knowing that i have been out or work since July, had a feeling the termination was coming soon. Heartbreaking after over 28 years with a perfect work record that I cannot return due to medical issues, let alone surgery being denied bc someone from insurance company decided "surgery would not improve my illness or condition" I ASSUME A VERTEBRA MOVING, INSTABILITY  AND BONE ON BONE WITH A SCREW IN THE MIDDLE is normal and i will have to live my life like this.

If i were able deal with this worsening neck pain, daily headaches, arm numbness and tripping no matter how careful I am. Otherwise i would return in a heartbeat..  

Teresa

Teresa
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Finally surgery was scheduled as emergency case on SaturdayJanuary 20th @730 am, arrival at 530am : 

Scheduled surgery: Revision of HardwareC4-7 & Posterior C3- C7 fusions, not sure what us being done for new herniation of C3 that is pressing on my spinal cord and  causing spinal cord swelling/blood in CSF fluid

Idk how my doc finally got insurance approval and scheduled on Saturday but FINALLY almost time to get this thing done, .Lost my job on Jan 10th of over 28 years bc i have been out since July but my health is more important than a job. 

Praying this goes as planned and the pain isnt too unbearable. Thankfully my husband took off for a week at minimum since I am supposed to be in hospital 5-10 days .

Lifetime1990 

Teresa

Teresa
  • joowee40

Will fill you in on my anterior & posterior surgery once i am able to get back online. ANOTHER SLEEPLESS NITE......Its 130am and i am laying here awake bc i had to quit taking all anti-inflammatory meds....must have been helping much more than I realized. Lortab nor muscle relaxers arent helping like they were - 

December 15, 2017 my  most recent MRI indicated  C3 has now herniated, so pain has been constant with no relief and left hand all fingers except thumb are numb from 2nd knuckle to finger tip.  SO OVER ALL OF THIS :'(

Teresa

Lifetime1990

Teresa
advertisement