Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lyrica

advertisement

Comments

• BitzicatBBitzicat PhoenixPosts: 58

I took Lyrica for six years for fibromyalgia.  It worked for me  but I started needing higher and higher dosages. After a few years I had gained 18 pounds and my husband said I lost my mind!  I still have memory issues.  When I decided to get off of it, it took 7 months of reducing dosages until I was done.  Really painful to stop.  I now take gabapentin and tramadol; it doesn’t work as well but is a whole lot cheaper and I guess I’m not as crazy......bad drug, in my opinion.

• I have been on the Gaba up to 2100 mg a day but that made me emotional and delusional, As I was wearing off that they started Cymbalta which killed my appetite and just exacerbated my emotions. My anxiety was crazy and I forgot to mention zero pain relief. I tried the Neucynta as well but started weird feelings on that so I stopped after a few doses. I just don’t tolerate SSRI impact drugs of any kind. I am still dealing with Gaba withdrawals 4 was later. I have a couple friends that tools months to got over their Gaba symptoms. I wish there was something that worked for nerve pain but we know that it’s a crap shoot at best...

• advertisement
  • nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 658

@RossJames - Question:  I was wondering how long you have had these sciatic nerve pain symptoms?  I now from my own brief experience with sciatic nerve pain, the first treatment is often some meds and rest.  Most often, sciatic nerve pain will clear up in a couple of weeks.  If you are having continued pain for months, I'd suggest asking the doctor that is managing your case about the possibility of additional diagnostic tests, such as an EMG or some imaging tests.  I'm not familiar with current trends about the use of physical therapy in treating sciatic pain.  My injury was over 40 years ago.     

• I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd add my two cents.

Lyrica was one of the first medications my doctor prescribed to me, and my experience wasn't too good.

It did seem to help with the pain, however, after taking it for a few weeks, I was like a zombie - I was in a daze and my short term memory was completely shot.  I would have conversations with people, and 10 seconds later, I'd have to ask them what we were talking about as I just didn't know.  It actually scared the heck out of me, and a close friend became very worried about me.  I experienced a number of other side effects as well, but then, I seem to be quite sensitive to medications in general.

• Been away from this forum for a while. Had XLIF in L-23 and 3-4 in 2012, then a laminectomy L4-5 in April 2017. Recent MRI showed L-1 bulge and arthritis and post-laminectomy syndrome L 4-5. Back brace and exercise are helping with the disc bulge. Nerve pain and numbness in left leg has pretty well subsided but remains a real problem in my right leg. I am often in serious pain when walking or standing after 15-20 minutes. Neurosurgeon recommended I try gabapentin or Lyrica -- or try a corticosteroid injection. (I have had three of these; one worked.) I got home and started reading about side effects and interactions with gab and Lyrica. I am already dealing with depression and darker issues, and frankly, the six-pack of beer in the evening makes most of my troubles go away temporarily. (Yes, I know about AA.)  I have the samples of 50mg Lyrica sitting here and I am reluctant to start taking it. I got a divorce last summer, moved to a brand new state and do not have much of a friend or family support structure in place in case I should start spiraling into Lyrica side effects issues. Really not sure what to do here. I see very few viable substitutes for gaba/Lyrica. I was on Cymbalta for depression for years and didn't notice any benefits in reducing back pain. 

• advertisement
advertisement