Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Getting my permanent SCS on Monday, Nov. 27 after Thanksgiving

Hello everyone,

I saw my surgeon on Thursday and getting my permanent SCS on Monday, 11/27 after Thanksgiving. St. Jude rep was also there for my appointment.  It will be four weeks until Christmas for healing.  I have a lot to do before that, me and Norco, put up tree, decorations, wrapping, I have 95% of my shopping done, baking and freezing food and desserts, etc. "J" is right behind me helping me with everything also.  Then I can relax and heal for the four weeks.  Both Surgeon and rep agree that I should be fine by Christmas.  I may still have some restrictions, but I get a lot of help from my daughter and daughter in law in kitchen area.  The trial went great, better than I hoped for, surgeon said I should do  just fine.  Here's hoping for a pain free 2018!!

advertisement

Comments

• Good luck Jenny. I'm 4 weeks post-implant right now. The biggest challenge for me at this stage is remembering that I still have restrictions so I need to limit my activities.

• What limitations do you have to follow at 4 weeks Vince?  The only thing that concerns me about Christmas is 15 to 20 people over, mostly family, my kids grandchildren, etc.  If I have all the "holiday work" done before the implant procedure, I figure I can relax and heal for the four weeks.  My family is pretty understanding and helpful.  I just don't want to get carried away with the day and forget I still have limitations.  I hope I'm making the right decision to have Christmas and don't regret it.

• advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 465

Jenny, I went through the same thing last year. I was scheduled for perm install right after Thanksgiving. An opening came up 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and I jumped on the chance. I was healing during Thanksgiving instead of being with family but that was ok. I was happy to get it sooner. 4 weeks post op was huge for me. It was the mark where pain was much better than ever during the whole 4 weeks. GLTU 

• Jenny the restrictions I have at 4 weeks are a continuation of the "no excessive bending, twisting, stretching, raising my hands above my head or lifting more than 5 or 10 pounds". I feel like this is conservative, but this is what my doctor told me at my 4 week follow up appointment. I've seen recovery instructions online from other practitioners that allow for a gradual increase in lifting over time (e.g., 20 pounds at 4 weeks), but I'll stick to what I've told.  At this point another few weeks of restrictions isn't that big of a deal.

• Best wishes for you and your procedure! Great job getting everything prepped and ready for your homecoming too.  I am NOWHERE near that organized.  Let us know how you do!

• advertisement
advertisement