Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Thoracic Spinal Fusion Pre-Op

throwawaytthrowaway Posts: 1
edited 11/18/2017 - 3:51 PM in Scoliosis

I'm going in for my pre-op battery in about a week and a half for spinal fusion. I was informed that there would be a drug test before surgery for "insurance reasons".  I was also told that my surgery  would be cancelled if I failed. I am not quite sure how reliable each of these sources are.I smoke marijuana regularly to manage the back pain and am wondering:

Am I going to be given a drug test during my pre-op tests?

If I am given a drug test and I fail for marijuana will my surgery be cancelled?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi, is your info from the hospital staff where surgery is happening? If so, I’d err on the side of caution and cut out the marijuana.  Where do you live? If in the U.S. some states have legalized it. At my pre-op I was just told to stop taking ibuprofen and cannibas products two weeks before surgery.

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,272

i was only allowed to be taking any prescription meds that were current meds on my preop.  I had to stop all vitamins, supplements (i don't smoke MJ, so that wasn't an issue for me).   if they told you there would be a drug test for insurance reasons i would assume they will do this at the pre-op....and if they find anything that is not a prescribed substance in your system then they can cancel your surgery.....i would so err on the side of caution here and stop the MJ....you need time for that to clear your system too-like 5-6 days, so....

all us spineys have to remember that some drugs will impede healing too, there's a good base of literature that says anti inflammatories will impede bone growth....for instance i was not allowed to take any anti inflammatories until 6 months post surgery....so everything we put into our bodies can affect the surgery and healing. 

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement