Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

my scoliosis -part 3

WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493

Hi everyone! I am going to suggest closing my scoliosis part 2because its getting long too...and i will continue posting here.  

Today is 11 months post surgery.  I have had an irritating time with an angry sciatic nerve the last 2 days.  I guess we poked the bear with a sharp stick last week at physio and its still angry....we all (me, pt and surgeon) think its trapped behind glut med and or piriformis and because my pelvis is fused it is virtually impossible for me to stretch piriformis now.  My pt worked a bit on it last time and it got a bit better until i reached into the bed of my truck and i guess stretched a wee bit too far.  An hour in the pool later and then laying on my back in the "z" position-legs up on the chair, flat on the floor on my back i started getting a bit of relief.  So gentle stretching today.....and i will not reach like that again. EVER lol

11 months. Almost a year. I can feel and move all the muscles of my left leg which wouldnt work before surgery.  I am 3 inches taller.  I can lift things without feeling like i am crushing under the weight. I can care for my animals again.  And do all the chores-including carrying 2 50 pound bags of feed up 10 stairs to the barn loft yesterday!!! (Carefully).....i am swimming. Back to work full time.  But still healing.  Physio twice a week and doing the exercises at home is still vhallenging, and my balance still needs work. But. 11 months out and better than the time leading up to surgery by far!!!!  Still looking ahead too.  

I have come so far!!!!

Kathy
Veritas-Health Moderator
---------------------------------------------------------------
Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,473

Yes you have!! You have been such an inspiration to everyone on this forum with your willpower, self determination, positive great attitude, and never giving up on yourself.
    You have a lot to be proud of. I remember those conversations from a year ago, you were scared to death but yet so determined.
    Thank you for all you've done for me and countless others on this forum. Every time my S1 nerve screams, I can hear you say "stretch" lol.

Sandra
    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Great news especially on the lifting and carrying 50 lbs! I am ok at 20 but doubt that I’ve carried that much yet. 4 months out. Doing well. Wwlady did you have many muscle spasms ever? Mine seem to have a life of their own. But congrats on your progress!!

Noreen

• advertisement
  • that grate to hear WLLady, and I hope you continue to post. I am not sure I could carries 50 lbs right now. your doing so good. I see the nurse practiner tomarrow for follow up on my second surgrey. then should see the surgon in dec for 1 yr follow up.

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493

noreen, oh yes, muscle spasms like crazy for the first (i was going to say "few months" but...) well, 11 months LOL.  i still get some muscles that will spasm out (like this morning-my left leg is a pain in the butt!).  mostly in the first 5 months or so, my back muscles would spasm up and down along where the surgery was, and especially just above-alongside the tops of the bars, so T7,8,9 and 10 for me.  and ribs...intercostal muscles...those have just quieted down in the last 2 months.   i have found that as the nerves heal and the muscles start to "listen" to the nerves again they do have a mind of their own, and then it's retraining the brain and muscle to work together.  a lot of my physio has aimed at getting my brain to figure out where in space i am again....touching dots on the floor with my toes and things like that.  (it does sound funny, but it's way harder than it sounds!!!!).  i had bad sciatic pain a lot of the weekend, so did some stretches and stuff, and this morning my leg is all out of sorts again, BUT there's places that were awake that weren't on friday, so hopefully it's just the nerve waking up (all the nerve roots were being slowly and steadily crushed on the inside of my curve, except L1 which was being crushed at the apex of L2 and L1 butting up against each other sideways...).it's L1 and L5 that i have issues with, the top and bottom of the curve where the angles were sharpest in my spine.....on the left.  and the nerves waking up seem to make the muscles they go to ache and spasm.  brewers yeast (vit Bs and protein basically) helped me a lot (not totally) but a lot with the bigger spasms, advice from my neurologist....he said it's an old folk remedy that they actually went back to in his clinic because it worked better than anything else.  i also found massage to be helpful....it's tough and sometimes hurts during the massage, but afterwards it seems better.....so. 

so my "carrying 50 pounds" was 2 feed bags (each is 50 pounds) and i needed to go up the stairs, so i lifted it (good form!) and then just one step at a time slowly....remember to engage the core, and besides seemingly to grow to 200 pounds by the top of the stairs i did it!  i put it down right at the top and then dragged it the rest of the way LOL.  but felt good.  i do think that may have contributed to the sciatic pain yesterday though, so i don't plan on hauling too many of those in the near future!  i guess i'm just happy that if i HAVE to, i can!

xrobynx, good luck tomorrow!  my one year followup was shoved into january now, so it will be a 13 month follow up LOL.  can't believe it's almost a year already!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• going to look into that brewers yeast, never heard of it before you said it.  when I look back at where I was right after surgrey, its like wow I have come along way. but now I am like you, progress is slower and harder to see now. so now we just can't give up and settle, we need to keep pushing for more inprovment, and, when we get down..stop here for daily pep talks to keep pushing.  I am finding x-mass shopping harder this yr so I need to do shorter trips out and just make more trips...lol hope you all have a grate thanks giving. 

• advertisement
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033

I echo that young lady from Indiana, memerainbolt, Sandra the moderator as we know her. WLLady was a huge inspiration to me following my latest adventure 7 months ago. I am doing well and she has a wealth of good information to share which helped in my recovery. A great motivator and a true warrior, I'm fortunate being able to learn from her.

edited 11/22/2017 - 8:22 AM

you guys....stop.....it's going to go to my head.......LOL.  THANK YOU.  i really love this forum, you guys all helped me more than you know too! 

snowing like crazy here today, so i guess today will be the day that i learn if i can walk in the stuff (i got some good ice grippy boots) and if i can brush snow off the truck, and maybe possibly even *GASP*     shovel  (i want some scary music to sound around that word   image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />  )   (or maybe push some around gently).  hubby is out real late tonight so i'll need to clean up the 1/2 mile driveway before he gets home because i took the big truck with 4x4 today and he has the small car.  i did find that i can drive the tractor again, slowly....the bumping up and down if i'm in a field is a big obnoxious a couple hours down the road.  but i'm sure i can plow with it (although it doesn't have a cab, so it's not warm and comfy....sigh).  so i'm sure i can get the drive clear, just the walkway maybe not so much.  hopefully it stays light and fluffy....and maybe i can just turn the dogs out to trample it all down LOL  the walkway is about 20 feet long, and if i throw the ball in the right direction (challenges 1-throw, 2-right direction) maybe it would work.....hmmmmm

so i had a fairly heavy bag to bring into work this morning, and i had to stop 3 times and rest on the way to my office.  sigh.  guess that will be the next challenge.  carrying a 10-15 lb something while walking a distance.  i think i'll start small, like 2 pounds....and work up from there.  mental note to self, do NOT ask the PT about this or he's going to make me do it....LOL.  xrobynx i am a firm believer in internet shopping now LOL.  delivered to my house, wrapped and sent/delivered.   am i lazy or what? 

and YES!!!! we do have to keep pushing.  i was just having that exact conversation with myself last night....15 minutes into a 20 minute on the elliptical with a full page of physio exercises staring me in the face and deciding that maybe i'm just too tired for this and i want to start making dinner now.....(i did end up calling off the elliptical, but i did do all the PT after dinner....so a compromise with a little caving....).  it would be easy to just "be" like this now, i can function okay, and get by.  but you know what?  i want to get better, and get stronger (and be able to carry the bag into work without looking like a weenie).  so.  here's the deal.  i'll keep working and you guys all keep working! LOL. (and it's okay to take a break now and then). 

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• NoreenNNoreen Posts: 118
    edited 11/23/2017 - 4:11 PM

Hi guys. Ok finally in the place to follow Wwlady’s blog. So you think it’s the nerves healing that makes the muscles spasm?. I take two. Valium a day which really helps with the spasms. And my PT has me put a ball or tennis ball in a sock and roll my painful shoulder and glut on it.  Helps. I wish I could have massages. I feel very lucky to have this forum to visit. I mean I can’t talk to friends about it anymore. And may I just add that NO ONE knows what kind of hellish surgery this is! Except all of you so good for me. 

Xox, Noreen

i know for me, if the nerves are not talking right to the muscles i was having horrible cramps.....then they would "wake up" and ache for a while and then start working better.  yep, i have the sock/ball thing too, and my PT does pressure point/trigger point release on me twice a week, and it really really helps. 

yes, i do not think anyone really CAN understand this surgery unless they've been through it.  it's a long haul....and a ton of patience! 

had another PT session yesterday.  we are really working on my left leg now, it just will not listen to some things.....it's muscles in my hip somewhere.  my ankle, foot, and knee all work perfectly, so L3-5 and S1 are firing well.  my problems seem to be left L1 and L2.....yesterdays fun exercise that was an epic fail was stand on my right leg, lift my left and they try to do circles around with my foot-by moving at the hip, not the ankle or knee.  wow.  i don't even know how to explain what happened.  i can move forward and out, but coming across things just seem to jam up, it "won't go".  and it's the same doing the back part of the circle.  i can think all i want in my head, but NOPE.  my PT thinks by using it will hopefully help to attract the nerve to heal somehow....i tend to agree, since research has also shown that people that are paralysed can actually grow nerves into paralysed tissues if those tissues are moved regularly.....so.  i'll keep moving what i can control and hope that these bits innervate again and heal up.  i'm not surprised, L1 and L2 were trapped between 2 vertebrae that were basically lying side by side before the surgery.  T12 was 0 degrees, L1 was 20 degrees and L2 was 110 degrees on the cobb angles, so.....that's a 90 degree difference right where L1 exited and L2 traversed....so.  i don't notice it when i walk, but doing targetted muscles in physio exercises (like lunge squats, leg lifts, clamshells, things like that) i really notice it.  good news is L4 and L5 are good now, and i've gotten my muscle mass AND strength coming back in those muscles that were wasting away before surgery!  yay!  i can no longer see the difference in the mirror when wearing shorts :-)  SO happy about that!

so of course today i'm creaky and stiff, from physio last night.  but it's all good. 

hope everyone down south of the border had a wonderful thanksgiving!!!!!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 1,033

Hi Noreen,

WLLady is definitely is the go-to person when it comes to this area, she has provided, in great detail, information that has been very beneficial through my recovery of a similar surgery I just went through 7 months ago. I honestly give credit to her along with others here on this site for positive support, the strength to move forward with confidence knowing I will move forward having a good outcome from these little adventures that may change who I am.

I agree, some of those friends just don't get it, they don't understand. I actually don't talk much about my health issues unless someone asks and is truly concerned. As bad as things can get at times I always remind myself what I've seen in the medical centers I have spent some time at and keep telling myself, "I really don't have it that bad."

Our minds are a very powerful tool, I know it can be difficult at times, we all have our moments when it's not fun anymore. Just try and think of everything that you can still do. Set goals you know you can attain, and exceed those goals when possible.

Wishing you all the best,

Ranger

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.