Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone wear a med-alert bracelet?

For those who have had fusions, especially multi-level fusions, do you wear anything like a bracelet to identify this fact?  You know, to alert first responders, ER personnel, etc. in case something happens and you can't communicate?  I think about this every now and then and wonder if it would be a good idea.  Anyone?

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,460

urbmshr
    I wear a medical alert bracelet because I have a pain pump. But yes, I think it is a very good idea. 

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • I know a woman who is fused L4-S1. She has had 3-4 back surgeries since her 30s.

All because she overdid it at the gym when she was younger. 

She’s pretty much back to 100% two years post-fusion and exercises (mostly cardio) 2-3 hours a day (oftentimes hardcore exercise like you see in infomercials). 

She can run but not as graceful as she used to, as is to be expected. 

But she can go for 90 minutes or more on an elliptical on the highest resistance setting, with no breaks for rest.

I hope she can stay healthy and doesn’t mess her back up again. 

She is super muscular and is only 48.

So she has both generous muscle (a strong yet feminine build) and youth on her side. 

If I were her, though, I wouldn’t be pushing it as hard as she does. 

It’s not in her DNA to do anything less than 200%, however.

I can ask her if she has a med alert bracelet but I kind of doubt that, just based on her superior activity level. 

To my knowledge she’s never had any bladder/bowel issues in the past, thank goodness.

• advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,324

i have thought about it too, not because of my fusions though but because i'm allergic to peanuts....however....never seem to get around to ordering one.

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• I think about situations like a car accident.  Don't want someone dragging me out of a car or flopping me around in an ER.  These are just thoughts that pop into my head now that never did before.  Hmmm.

10 level fusion T9 - S1 with pelvic fixation. Two titanium rods, 24 screws, 4 cages.

Firm believer in PMA

• i never thought about it and I am fussed t9 to s2, but you made me think that we should probely have one, it couldn't hurt, I worked in an er and that is the kind of info doc's would need if you were ever a trauma and could not talk for yourself, that would cuasue them to do a fast body x-ray before moving you around as to see if a rob was broken. I think now, its a good ideal. internal bleeding is all ways a major concern with traumas.

• advertisement
  • My phone has a medicial alert app, which ER personnel can open without the phone password, i put all my info there so no bracelet.

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,324

i looked into them here in canada and they want a subscription fee every month to have a medicalert....and it was something silly like 130$/year.....i have most things written down in my wallet, on a free piece of paper.....

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Thanks grtgrandma, just downloaded one to my phone.  I pretty much always have that with me, not my wallet so much.

Firm believer in PMA

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,460

I ordered my online, black leather beautiful bracelet with the engravings for about $20.00.

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Urbshmr,

You are welcome.

advertisement