Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Need advice for up'ing Rx...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,578
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:22 AM in Pain Medications
How do I tell my NS that the 4 a day 10/325 Percocets are not cutting it? I find that I take an extra round just to keep myself sane from the pain.

How do I tell a doc that likes to lecture me on pain meds, that I either need an extra pill per day or something stronger?

He finally agreed to handle my meds for me, instead of telling me to go to my Primary (who told me to go to PM or my NS who told me to see my primary...)

I figure as long as I'm honest (as I always am, if anything I understate my pain) all should be well, well not with this guy. He's a great NS but he's a pain when it comes to this stuff.

Oi!
advertisement

Comments

• Just tell him like it is and see what he does.
  • understate your pain. That would be the wrong thing to do. He needs to know exactly how much pain you are in and how it is effecting your life.
  • advertisement
  • :) hi! all you can do is just tell him how you are feeling and don't miss a lick! he needs to hear that from you! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Well, I went in there today and was just straight up honest with him. I did not understate the pain at all. He gave me a script for Dilaudid (2mg, 2x per day for 2 weeks) and he gave me my Percocet for 5x a day for 30 days.

The Dilaudid is for those days where I'd rather drown then deal with the pain.

Hopefully this will take care of the pain.

I think it helped that my wife was there with me to make sure I didn't try to understate the pain.
  • I was on the 8 mg Dilaudid for about a year and I slept alot. A 2 mg Dilaudid will help boost the 10 mg percocet. Plus you did get an extra 30 Percocets. So when the pain gets bad, you can always use the hydromorphone to kick it up a notch. It should help you out. Are going back to see the Dr. in 2 weeks or do you wait until the end of the Percocet script?
  • advertisement
  • In 3 weeks I go in for my final RFNA for at least 6 months. So I'll have to wait until my percocet script is due.
  • kx- Did the meds help the pain? I know that I have had to alter my pain meds using the PRN med when my pain condition changes. Some days are worse than others.. :))) jade
  • Yes, the extra percocet per day helps immensely. The dilaudid however, I might as well not even take it because it doesn't give the boost needed for those horrible periods of pain where I need a little help.
  • kx- Glad the dr adjusted the meds to help you. I would probably talk to the dr about the dilaudid if you feel it is not helping... :))) jade
advertisement