Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Medication options to Replace Opana ER

So with the whole Opana ER coming off the market and now soon the generic as well, I am looking for a long acting medicine I can take.  I have been on oxymorphone ER 20 mg 3 times a day.  Additionally I am on 30 mg oxycodone 4 times daily for break through pain.  The kicker is I’m aallergic to morphine so that is out of the question.  Any and all suggestions would be great.  Thanks 

advertisement

Comments

• Has it been verified the generic ER is being removed from the market?

• Taking Opana off the table has been an issue for so many people.  And the fact that you cannot take morphine, the only thing I can think of is Fentanyl or Oxycontin.  I usually stay on MS Contin for long acting but when tolerance happens I change over to Oxycontin for a few months and then right back.  This time the Oxycontin has worked so well I thought about staying on it but it costs insurance almost $500 per month and would throw me into the doughnut hole next year so I have no choice.  I have to take the cheaper drug.  I guess I would speak to your Doctor about what he or she suggests because some doctors have limited meds that they will prescribe.  Sorry this happened to you.

Cindy

• advertisement
  • I just got the generic oxymorphone (Opana) filled and my pm said there is no plan to remove generic Opens from the market.

• Thanks for the confirmation sandi. That was my understanding too.

• Well that is great news!

• advertisement
  • L4-L5/sandi123-I am being told from my pharmacy that November/December that oxymorphone was coming off the market.  It won’t be long after that, I won’t be surprised if Opana doesn’t file a suit stating the generic form should come off the market also.  I also just got my script filled but I am trying to plan ahead. 

Cindy - yes it has been an issue, I’ve been on fentanyhl in the past, but after months I encountered the sweats like I was going thru withdrawal, not fun ha ha!  I also need to get on a cheaper drug as this is my last month with insurance.  I was released from my job due to not being able to return to work. I am in the process in applying for Medicaid but unsure what they will pay for.  

Thanks to all for the info thus far! 

• sandi123ssandi123 Posts: 474
    edited 11/30/2017 - 6:56 PM

The generic is made by global and I just asked yesterday since the last few years I've been on the same generic. He checked while I was there to make sure, but he said he has gotten nothing about the generic going off market.

I know there has been discussion about the brand name which is why I double checked yesterday.

Opana (not generic) yes, but two different companies.

• Sandi - if thats the case that’s great, I will need to double check with my pharmacist, changing medications is always the biggest pain.  I did however run into a new problem today when picking up my medication.  The insurance company isn’t covering the total cost, it is costing my pharmacy $150 to fill the script.  I haven’t had this problem for the last year and half of filling this medicine.  It’s been the same dosage, same strength month after month.  Maybe that is why my pharmacy is stating to me it is coming off the market.  I would however think there are numerous manufactures of the generic brand, as with other medications, but I could be wrong.  I will need to do some research...thanks for the info Sandi.  

• Try looking up oxymorphone HCL ER . That's the name of the generic Opana I take, and it's made by global pharmaceuticals. 

• sandi123 - I also take oxymorphone hcl ER and that is what I was switched to after opana was discontinued by the FDA, I actually I found 7 different manufacturers of oxymorphone HCL ER including global.  

advertisement