Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Extruded t8-9 Disc with fragmentation

I am new here, so please bear with me. I have had multiple back injuries in my life and worked physical labor (roofing) most of my life. I have dealt with and managed lower back pain for years now. Anyway, about 5 months ago, I found myself in excruciating pain I the middle of my back. I went to the doctor and got a referral for an MRI. The results said I have a small but broad central to left paracentral prutusion at T7-8 with no cord impingement; at T8-9 there is a small to moderate size central disc extrusion with inferior extension and there appears to have been migration of a small sequestered disc fragment inferiorly just left of midline. The sequester disc fragment is 0.7 cm at its largest and 3.5 9m at its short axis. Again, not cord impingement. At T9-10 there is a small but broad central to right paracentral disc protrusion without cord impingement. My doctor referred me to pain management. The pain doctor said this injury was rare because it is in the middle of the back. He also said it was serious because of fragment being in the spinal canal. He wanted to treat it conservatively because he said they can heal without surgery. He ordered physical therapy and an epidural injection. My insurance denied the injection. They said this was not proven treatment for my condition. The doctor appeaed the denial and I was able to get to injection. I started therapy and after a week or so any relief I got from the injection was gone. I called pain management, and they scheduled a 2nd injection. Again, it was denied for the same reason. The doctor made an appeal but it was denied again. After that, pain management said they weren't able to do anything else. So, I made a call to my primary and they referred me to a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon would not make an appappointment because they said after reviewing my MRI my condition does not require surgery. Ok... so now what? My pain level fluctuates from a 3 or 4 on my best days, and 8 to 9 on my worst. I have 2 to 3 days consecutive at my best days and 2 to 3 at my worse. No real numbness in my extremities-some leg pain though. Most of the pain is right in the center of my back, but it does radiate to my shoulders and neck, sometimes my lower back. Sometime it wraps around my sides and in my diaphragm and chest. It' been so bad it' made me physical sick. Standing, walking, posture... it all effects my level of pain. I haven't done anything very physical in months, including work. Really, I just want to know if it as serious as it sounds and as the pain doctor led on. Also, why am I having a hard time getting it treated or  the pain to a manageale level? Should I go to another doctor? 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

hello jhinson1911

there are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery