Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Heat pads, how to use them ?

jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
edited 12/07/2017 - 5:04 AM in Fibromyalgia

Going to try these, 

As I have sciatic pain all over, but I think it starts in my lower back or in the middle, in my arms and kneck.

I really don't know where to place the pad.

Wonder if anybody who uses one could tell me how they use theirs

Thank you

advertisement

Comments

• ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 202

Didn't yours come with directions?  My old one was super simple, just on and off.  The new one comes with a timer and heat control.  Not hard to figure out.  Then, as they say, as an absolute last resort you could read the instructions!  Then try it out where you are hurting.  I have mine under my thigh right now, lying on my back.

• I don't think Arizona read your post very well.  You obviously know how to use a heating pad; your question was about where to place it for the most relief, correct?  I always put my ice packs or heating pad centered around where the pain is supposedly coming from, not necessarily where I feel the pain.  For radiating pain, it generally doesn't help to put the pad on your leg, etc when the pain originates in your lumbar spine.  Good luck to you!

• advertisement
  • Being the odd man out..I usually placed it a little bit lower than the pain center..but its a me thing

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• ArizonaAArizona ArizonaPosts: 202

Allie, you are right, i didn't read the post very well.  Sorry about that.  Also you made an interesting point about putting the heating pad where the pain is supposedly originating rather than where you feel it, in my case, lower back > leg/foot.  I'll try that.

• I have a heat pack on me somewhere most of the time, I make my own to suit the size and shape I need, filled with a good quality wheat. I microwave mine . I normally have it on where it hurts the most at the time, say my lumbar spine has a burning ache, I would place it there till it needs heating again then move it to under a butt cheek, then down the path the sciatica is taking. The relief don’t last for long but it helps. Any relief though short lived helps the mind rest. Harpy

• advertisement
  • @harpy I'm interested in making my own microwave hot packs with rice or wheat. Would you be willing to share info with me via private message on how to make them? I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks! 

• i dont know but,  as an exmaple, If my arms or head hurts i place the pad on my neck..I sue the radiating pain from the spine information.

• LizLiz Posts: 9,708

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I have to close it. If they return we can reopen the discussion.

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.