Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Re visited a drug and it worked again?

Hello

I've read a free people rotate their meds when they stop working be interrsed if anybody if it has worked for some folk

Thank you

advertisement

Comments

• Yes, I've been rotating meds for years, and it works to avoid tolerance issues, and keep doses down to the lowest possible, but effective dose.

• Hello sandy, how long do leave before you rotate them 

Thank you

• advertisement
  • It depends. I've been on my current ones now for 4 years. Before that, I last rotated my previous med after 3.5 years. My breakthrough med has remained the same for 10 years.

• Blimy years I thought it might be like 6 months

• Jon, 

Tolerance occurs over time , but often people mistakenly assume that real tolerance issues occur in short time frames, but that's not necessarily true.

• advertisement
  • jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
    edited 12/14/2017 - 12:58 PM

OK thanks sandy 

When you revisited the drug do you think it was as effective again as it was originaly?

Thank you.

• Yes, and at a lower dose. That's one of the benefits of switching off after legitimate tolerance occurs. Time away allows the doctor to switch to another med, typically reduced a bit for cross tolerance, and that works pretty well.

• jonisingt35rjjonisingt35r Posts: 165
    edited 12/15/2017 - 4:21 AM

Thank you sandy

Sounds encouraging, I did start to look at what type of drugs effect which receptors in the brain. 

Because if one drug effects certain receptor and another drug effects another receptor, makes sense to switch receptors?

• That's my understanding Jon..

• Yes, I have been switching up my long acting drugs for many years.  I stay on MS Contin til it begins to lose it's effectiveness, then change to Oxycontin for about 6 months and then can go back to the MS Contin and have it work just fine for me again.  I just changed things up 4 months ago so in two months will change back to the Morphine.  It was three years this time before I had to switch.  I think the longest I have ever gone is 4 years and the shortest 2 years.

This time I am on a different insurance than I was on last time I made the change and didn't realize that the Oxycontin was costing the insurance almost $500 so it caused me to be in the doughnut hole this month.  So I ended up paying a little over $200 dollars for the Oxycontin this month, but of course everything resets as of January 1st and I only need it for another month so it worked out OK.  And hopefully I won't have to deal with this again for a few years so next time I will be able to plan ahead and have some money saved up.  My PM Doctor says this is happening to lots of his patients.

You only get $3700 dollars between what the insurance pays out added to what you pay out of pocket and then you go into the doughnut hole where you pay 50% on name brand drugs and 41% on generics.  So being on the Oxycontin would put a person in the doughnut hole after about 7 months and that's if the insurance wasn't having to cover any other drugs.  And there are no alternatives because the only one, Xtampza is just as expensive as the Oxycontin is.  And because Purdue somehow got their patent for the Oxycontin with the abuse deterrent covering extended to I think it is 2030, even if someone decided to make a generic with the coating and got it approved by the FDA, Purdue would still get a piece of the pie which probably means it too would be expensive.  After I read that I wanted to pull my hair out!  I had been telling myself that a generic had to be just around the corner......but that seems unlikely. 

OK, I've taken up enough of your time.  Sorry!  Best of luck!

Cindy

advertisement